UBot Underground

What is up with the new name for Bot Source? Bot Bank is awful, Bot Source is a good name and appropriate. Bot Bank just doesn't make much sense and reminds me of a blood bank. Not that it matters much, but awful name to pick and I don't see why it needed to be changed in the first place. You had a good name already.

Our marketing team thinks it has more market appeal. Does anyone else want to chime in on this? Is bot bank good/bad? Why/why not?

Bank implies personal and it is not. Good name for libraries bad for a shared resource. My opinion of course.

I didn't think twice about it until seeing this thread, but it does kind of make me wonder if the implication is that a bailout will be needed at some time in the future... http://ubotstudio.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

I didn't think twice about it until seeing this thread, but it does kind of make me wonder if the implication is that a bailout will be needed at some time in the future... http://ubotstudio.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

:lol:

I think Bank is a place to store things. So it would work in this case. However think that Bot source expressively states that it is source code pre coded ready to go. Ideally it could even be Source Bank (just thinking out loud)

You started it! http://ubotstudio.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

John

http://ubotstudio.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Personally I'm not too fussed about a name that is not visible to the end users, however in the uk a bot bank is a place to trash your empty bottles for them to be recycled ! They're usually dirty, smelly things you find in a car park at the supermarket where people deposit their old bottles before the council comes around to empty it and send the broken bottles to the recycling company. ;)

Personally I'm not too fussed about a name that is not visible to the end users, however in the uk a bot bank is a place to trash your empty bottles for them to be recycled ! They're usually dirty, smelly things you find in a car park at the supermarket where people deposit their old bottles before the council comes around to empty it and send the broken bottles to the recycling company. ;)

[Off Topic on a similar theme]

You know the SOPA act? Well, "sopa" in Swedish means "trash", "household waste". So very true... :)

[back to topic again]

I agree with that "Bot bank" is not very good as a if I put something into a bank, then it would be mine and not shared. If UB started to offer local libraries, such libraries could be called "Bot Bank", or preferrably "My Bot Bank" to separate it more clearly (or possibly "My Bots"). Maybe you should call "Bot Source", "Shared Bots"?

Well, this is my suggestion:

"My Bots" for my own local library of bots.

"Shared Bots" for the current "Bot Source"

Just my two cents...

[Off Topic on a similar theme]

You know the SOPA act? Well, "sopa" in Swedish means "trash", "household waste". So very true... :)

[back to topic again]

I agree with that "Bot bank" is not very good as a if I put something into a bank, then it would be mine and not shared. If UB started to offer local libraries, such libraries could be called "Bot Bank", or preferrably "My Bot Bank" to separate it more clearly (or possibly "My Bots"). Maybe you should call "Bot Source", "Shared Bots"?

Well, this is my suggestion:

"My Bots" for my own local library of bots.

"Shared Bots" for the current "Bot Source"

Just my two cents...

Technically, that's not true. When you deposit your money into a bank, it's loaned out to others...that's how they make money...http://ubotstudio.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

John

It's not really important but since I read that thread I'd go with: bot library.

Bot bank in my mind sounds like a place where you get complete bot ready to use.

And the word bank implies money to me, so it can be perceived as a place to buy ready made bot, which it isn't...

Hmm... if said Bank is a traditional financial institution, your money can indeed be lent out to others while you maintain the right to withdraw it at any time while getting interest for the time it remains deposited allowing the bank to lend it out.

In the case of a Central Bank (like the FED), you can neither deposit nor withdraw money, but money can be magically created out of thin air (presto!... no more economy!), completely diluting & devaluing the current money supply.

In the case of a Blood Bank, with your deposit you are (generally) completely relinquishing your right to your (previous) possession while it seeks a new home... which could mean it will come back to you if you don't drive more carefully... although, what are the odds?

In the case of a Sperm Bank, the bank is just holding it for you (well, depending on how they get their deposit) http://ubotstudio.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif And AFAIK they don't lend it out or give interest and you are the only one who can withdraw it (without a court order).

So with these 4 commonly accepted types of bank we see 4 completely different models of what it means to actually be a bank which in and of itself appears to be no more than a storage facility for something, in which case, technically, Bot Bank is fine. They can be stored, they can be borrowed, they can be lent, etc. But we might have to twist Seth's arm on the interest part... http://ubotstudio.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

That said I still prefer Bot Bin... http://ubotstudio.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Hi,

I don't like the name "Bot Bank" either because it is not really about banking on your complete bot but banking on your source code snippets and so "commercial snippet pile" might sound better.

be happy u only dont like the name :D :D

Uniquebot, you have some good points. They would be better taken if you could arrange them into a few separate posts in the appropriate forums.

Hi,

I don't like the name "Bot Bank" either because it is not really about banking on your complete bot but banking on your source code snippets and so "commercial snippet pile" might sound better.

You know, even though I have V4, I'm still using V3.5 for 2 reasons and one of them is that it has THREADS. Why has THREADS been taken out of V4 Standard ?

V3.5's colour and look is better than V4 (in my opinion). I mean, when in V3.5, I drag a COMMAND to the Script Editor, a window opens prompting me how many PARAMETERS I must ad but in V4, no window opens like that and sometimes I forget to add a PARAMETER to a command. So, if I'm supposed to add 7 PARAMETERS and add only one by mistake and then close the COMAMND then I'd have to open-up the COMMAND again to add what I missed. In V4, I miss things but in V3.5, it's hard to miss things.

Also, the V4 COMMANDS' colours and layout colours look girlish. Therefore, don't use V4 much. Whatever little time I did play with it, I came across this BOT BANK that had a lot of codes of other people I can use. I only toyed with it a little and so don't have much experience with BOT BANK. But, what little experience I have about it, I understood I can use other Ubotters source codes without needing to copy and paste them onto my own scripts and that's a quick and swift way to do things and a good idea Seth thought-up.

Now, this got me thinking lately. How-about we see in the forums what parts of features newbies are finding difficult to code and we write-up the codes and put them in BOT BANK and newbies can use our codes on their bots and pay us royalties per copy sold ? Good idea ? The BOT BANK can track how many bots are using our source codes to charge the appropriate amounts. Ubot Team can charge a small percentage of what we earn. This will bring new form of earnings for Ubot Team and they won't have to introduce new forms of fees anymore to sustain on-going server costs of their compiler and they may find themselves being able to afford not charging any support fees and update fees anymore.

Anyone agree ?