UBot Underground

Will UBOT 4 have databases?

with the comment ubot has javascript and have to learn it, learn sql

the idea behind ubot is usability and making it as friendly as possible will appeal to more people im sure. Not everyone has time to sit around reading books, and trying new code. They want to sit down plugin and play with something and get results immediately.

In the world today lets take for example exercise. Do you know why so many people don't do it on average only 16% in the us do it daily. Reason? time consuming, repetitive, and takes a while to get the results needed to make it worth while. Coming from a fat guy myself I embraced it a while ago. lol but its true.

The attention span of a human in any situation if there is not something they can do quickly and on the fly they are less likely to do it. Its almost human nature to want the easy route.

Take websites. Besides building them to look nice. We build them first and foremost for ease. If a user comes to your site and can't simply point and click and quickly get to what they are looking for you will have lost a potential sale or client.

Same rules apply in a product your selling. If its not easy to use it appeals to a limited market. However if easy to use you appeal to the entire market. Add a learning curve cut that market in half above and beyond traditional learning the workings and how to of the product such as learning a coding language, and you cut that market in half if not more.

TJ

I suggest that you consider allowing access to any sql database - don't limit it to mySQL or SQL Server but use a data connector that the user configures to allow access to whatever sql backend is desired.

To keep it simple for the untrained user (in sql) allow creation of a simple mysql local db with some basic single table commands - instead of having to create a table, then save the table to a file.

Keeping track of data in csv files is really tedious and error prone - particularly if you need to append information, remove duplicates and relate info in one file to another like Websites.csv, WP Plugins.csv, Domain Hosts.csv

Great Idea nmo!

If we did add this feature we wouldn't just support MySQL or something, I understand people use a lot of different databases now, and we'd work on supporting as many as we could. We would probably support SQLite which would work for storing a database in a local file and being able to relate all that information. As far as creating new commands such as create database table etc, I'm not sure how great the benefits are, or which commands would be important enough to make, and which would not. What we might do is allow some commands that allow you to insert a ubot table's rows into a database table, as long as the columns matched up, or something along those lines.

Simplifying databases is a hard thing to do, and I'm not quite sure it's feasible to do that in UBot right now. Luckily there are things such as database designers and SQL generators that might be more useful than anything we can create.

As of right now I think implementing some command to connect to and query a database is a great idea, but I'm not sold on adding commands for creating tables or things like that yet.

Thanks for all the feedback and I'm still very open to suggestions :)

Get ubot to serve up coffee and donuts.... mmmmmmm.

Frank

If we did add this feature we wouldn't just support MySQL or something, I understand people use a lot of different databases now, and we'd work on supporting as many as we could. We would probably support SQLite which would work for storing a database in a local file and being able to relate all that information. As far as creating new commands such as create database table etc, I'm not sure how great the benefits are, or which commands would be important enough to make, and which would not. What we might do is allow some commands that allow you to insert a ubot table's rows into a database table, as long as the columns matched up, or something along those lines.

Simplifying databases is a hard thing to do, and I'm not quite sure it's feasible to do that in UBot right now. Luckily there are things such as database designers and SQL generators that might be more useful than anything we can create.

As of right now I think implementing some command to connect to and query a database is a great idea, but I'm not sold on adding commands for creating tables or things like that yet.

Thanks for all the feedback and I'm still very open to suggestions :)

• Like 1

I have been quietly watching this topic. There is some great discussion and amazing ideas thrown on table. Although I have successfully been able to build a flat file database with a bot, there is alot of files and coding.

I am familiar with SQL, although it's been a while but I can refresh it just like those good old days.

The ability to be able to connect to different types of databases shall help alot. It would be a good idea to start off with basic commands as Eddie mentioned above.

Can't wait to see it coming. :P

Frank, I do spent quite sometime everyday with my buddy, and we are getting along quite well together. Oh my buddy is Ubot Studio Lol

I also like the idea of Implementing databases to UBot Studio. I think this would really change speed and manipulation of a large amount of data!

Very interesting subject for me, to read as well as store data.

For what it's worth we use another "Windows tool" called PHPRunner, that allows connecting to several types of databases, and does though through a clever web connector page that doesn't require one to open their database outside the local server. I'm much more familiar with the Linux world so not sure if it can help, but it could be something to explore for future versions if V4 is just around the corner ?

http://xlinesoft.com/phprunner/images/screenshot4_new.gif

• 1 month later...

For advance users, there is already a way to use mysql even in version 3.

I am using it for a long time, with shell commands to the local mysql client.

Works perfectly fine.

Sure it takes some work to setup initially, but you can use EVERYTHING that mysql has to offer.

It work good since the mysql client has so many options for command line runs. (I know oracle has something similar with the sqlplus command. Access would probably be hard).

Just remember to use the 32bit client, 64 doesn't work with ubot until ubot will come in a 64bit version I assume.

• 5 months later...

I used to be heavy into dBase (which as InterBase is now open source) and Foxbase programming back in the day (anyone remember Clipper?) and the thing that primarily separated databases and spreadsheets in those days was the on the fly relationality which is just not there in csv files. Being able to scrape (or enter) data into queryable relational databases would definitely be SWEET! http://ubotstudio.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif

for anyone here who got problems with sql.

google for navicat there are a free version of this nice program.

With navicat it is massiv simple to get complex mysql sql92 statements

try it - i'm sure u will luv it.

A conector in ubot to MySQL would be great.

For me it would be enougth like this

connect to mysqldb ("ip, port, database, user, pass")

mysql statement ("select plaplupp || update plaplupp || delete plaplupp || insert plaplupp")

Hi Eddie,

I just finally got around to checking this thread again. Personally I would like to see some form of SQL Server Compact Edition incorporated into ubot. In other words it's own functioning database, not simply a connection to an outside database. The closest example I can think of is the program "SEO Link Dominator" by Steve Hawkins. It is a tool that imports link pdf's and lists into a database and stores that along with signup info for semi automated filling of manual link sources. I can't think of a better example, however the program "Sick Submitter" version 4 has a newly built database with custom query building so that all of the info in any given SEO campaign that are done within the program can be accessed and edited.

Hope that gives you a good idea of what I mean. I mainly think it would imporve the higher level uses of SEO projects.

What exactly would you like to see in terms of databases? Would you like to be able to connect to external databases and execute SQL on them, where you would get results back as tables?

I guess I would like to know what features you feel like you need databases for?