UBot Underground

There probably as many rant posts here as there is question and answer posts regarding ubot.

Give yourself time and permission to make mistakes when learning how to program with ubot. Truly it's a pretty powerful little package shortcutting a difficult job - automating web pages.

I've personally tried and purchased several programs that promised this feat, but ubot is the only one close to full delivery!

Here's the rub for you though. You have to learn rudimentary programming. There's no way around it. You will come in at a particular level of 'expertise' and that's where you start. Some will know less then nothing and other's will have written highly complexed programs in the past.

It really doesn't matter. What does matter is you give yourself permission and time to make mistakes! Yes, second time said. Here's my personal recommendation.

The tutorials that are here, and if you search youtube, I've put a few up. Step through them. Be a monkey at the mouse. Just follow along. Make mistakes. Change things around. Start to understand what the heck is going on.

Little by little, it will come. Will it be frustrating? YES! Can you get through it and make some pretty snazzy bots? YES!

Whenever you get stuck, don't be afraid to ask a question here. The ubot team and the community of users here are extremely helpful. Don't get upset with someone if they don't reply right away. Believe it or not, some of us get several personal messages from people every day! That's ok. But be patient.

But don't just quit when things get tough and you don't have an answer. Probably about 90% of the time, I end up answering my own questions, lol. But that's ok! I end up learning 10 times more because of it.

Also, don't be afraid if you get stuck to look at other places on the internet. For example, if you don't understand the proper use of an 'while' statement, google it. Read a few pages. Ubot isn't creating a new style of programming. They are simplifying what is already there.

Oh, and pick projects to try. Probably one of the most helpful things I did was to choose something to automate and just do it! For example, I'm currently creating a bot to deal with web 2.0 sites. I've just about completely automated squidoo. And squidoo is a toughy. Lot's of javascript!

That brings up a good point too. I'd recommend learning the basics of html and after, javascript. Can I program in javascript - nope. But do I know enough to deal with it - yup. But learn html first! Webmasters are making it extremely hard to automate their sites, but as many here have shown, if there's a will there's a way!

Best of luck and remember to give yourself permission to learn. Have patience with ubot and uself! ;)

Frank

• Like 16
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There probably as many rant posts here as there is question and answer posts regarding ubot.   Give yourself time and permission to make mistakes when learning how to program with ubot. Truly it's a

Good advice in general, per the attitude needed to work with this, or any challenging piece of software, but I'd suggest that the tutorials are severely lacking. They're out of date as compared to the

Hi John & Praney   Thanks for your thoughtful replies.   I appreciate that it's been difficult for you and the other guys that have stuck with it and got to grips with the software, and that now y

• 2 weeks later...
But don't just quit when things get tough and you don't have an answer. Probably about 90% of the time, I end up answering my own questions, lol. But that's ok! I end up learning 10 times more because of it.

If you're not prepared to do the above, quit now and save yourself some bother. The above attitude will do you good in so much IM related, not just ubot / programming.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Frank,

>>I've just about completely automated squidoo. And squidoo is a toughy. Lot's of javascript!

Is this anything you can share? I'm looking to automate some of the web 2.0 properties and Squidoo is one of the main ones. Also I'm not yet certain of how to use Javascript in my bots.

Any help will be deeply appreciated :-)http://ubotstudio.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

I also understand if you don't want to give away trade secrets!

Cheers

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If you're not prepared to do the above, quit now and save yourself some bother. The above attitude will do you good in so much IM related, not just ubot / programming.

You are 100% correct! Actually this advice goes with anything worthwhile! ;)

Hi Frank,

>>I've just about completely automated squidoo. And squidoo is a toughy. Lot's of javascript!

Is this anything you can share? I'm looking to automate some of the web 2.0 properties and Squidoo is one of the main ones. Also I'm not yet certain of how to use Javascript in my bots.

Any help will be deeply appreciated :-)http://ubotstudio.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Cheers

Steve

Hey Steve, you are correct, this is a tough site. I had completed a full squidoo bot and bamn, they changed their site. I've been monitoring this site and they really like to change things around to mess up automation, on a constant basis.

Frank

Hi Frank,

Cheers

Steve

Hey Steve, I offer this one warning when dealing with Squidoo. They seem to have a pretty good grip on automation, and I have been deleted twice just while testing. I'm not sure how Frank resolved his, but I am assuming proxies may have played a role. Just my personal experience.

John

If you're wondering how you get banned twice, I just shmoozed my way back in! lol

• 3 weeks later...

Good advice in general, per the attitude needed to work with this, or any challenging piece of software, but I'd suggest that the tutorials are severely lacking. They're out of date as compared to the most recent versions of the software and are not at all structured well; more like people just doing a camtasia screen capture of routines and procedures that they already know by heart.

For $250 software, the accompanying instructional material is very poor.

The developers really need to get off their tail and put together some decent instructions for using this software, not a hotch potch of screencaps that don't really lead the user through a learning experience to arrive at a certain level of competence.

I know that those who've mastered the software will say that one needs to stick with it, but I'd suggest that this mentality, and a refusal to at least deliver some decent training material, is similar to the mentality that keeps linux in the realm of geeks and nerds. Most internet marketers don't have the time to learn command line interfaces and just want to accomplish a certain number of objectives.

If this is software for internet marketers, the accompanying instructions need to be a hell of a lot better.

How about a tutorial on the following:

Building a bot for e-mail activation

Building a bot to create user accounts (gmail, yelp, etc.)

Building a bot for submitting reviews to review sites

Building a bot to submit articles

Building a bot to create forum profiles

Instead, we've got a hotch potch of tutorials on:

creating a bot that will generate a list of 10 usernames,

creating a bot that will visit google, yahoo and msn

etc - good building blocks maybe, but it needs to be drawn together.

The fact that there's a market in guys offering to buy and sell bots to do the practical, relatively basic tasks in my proposed list, would suggest that either this thing is too difficult for most internet marketers, or the instructions suck and that the only people who conquer this software are the dedicated geeks, as per linux.

• Like 5

Well, I would say this to you. Everybody here paid the same price. The exception being, when many of us started there was a lot less in terms of tutorials and documentation. I came in with less than zero knowledge or experience in programming, and in less than 10 days was building complete and functional bots. Why? Because I wanted to learn the software so I used the tutorials and this forum to get through it. One of the reasons you may not see the tutorials you are requesting is because people are building them to sell. Just giving away some of the more complex coding is counter-intuitive to good marketing. However, there is no question that won't, or hasn't been answered in this forum.

I am not trying to minimize the points you raise, but I guess my point is that everyone here has gone through the same process with the same resources available. It's really not that difficult and so many here are willing to help with any issue. The developers are working around the clock dealing with everything we "whine" about(don't give me any crap guys, we all do it! lol) already. They have to prioritize the list (and we've created a big one for them!). That was really the purpose of this thread, and it speaks volumes.

I have said this a million times before. If I can do this, anyone can! I even incorporate other things in my bots such as javascript (which I had always thought was its own language but now have a much better understanding of thanks to the forum). Good luck.

John

Very well said John!

I would completely agree to your statement, So for Naill, and other newbies out there, you have to give yourself time and there must be a will of doing something. I spend more than 5 hours on the forum pretty much everyday, because I just love it here, and every time learn something new here.

When I started, I remember there was no good reference or even good tutorials and was extremely frustrated, so I can understand how you may feel, but trust me now the tutorials are much better and even more help available on the forum. Its a great community and pretty much all the member try to contribute.

Now I build really complex bots that I never even thought about.

I am even on the urge to program some AI into the bot and trying to attain nearly one touch!! I mean literally on touch!!

So Naill, I would suggest to give yourself some time to learn and figure out what exactly you want do you and then approach it step by step on how can you implement it using ubot, break the process down into bite size pieces, look for tutorials and post for help if not then just through a question. I know all questions get answered.

Good luck and Happy botting!

Cheers!

Praney

• Like 1

Hi John & Praney

Thanks for your thoughtful replies.

I appreciate that it's been difficult for you and the other guys that have stuck with it and got to grips with the software, and that now you feel that it's been worthwhile. But this is akin to the mindset of the linux community - it's tough to learn, but no pain, no gain. I've no problem with that - whatever rocks your boat, as they say. I'm just not the type of guy who is willing to learn sudo get-apt install commands just to get the wifi working on my laptop! Similarly, the instructional videos are out of date and all over the place.

My gripe is more about the positioning of ubot to prospective buyers and internet marketers especially, as can be seen from this promo video:

http://vimeo.com/11435874

and the reality of a software package that has a learning curve akin to xrumer.

I've no problem with either positioning, but my original point is that the accompanying instructional material is very weak for a software package in this price bracket, and that without that instructional material, many of the intended customers will be left with a software package that isn't usable. Telling normal users that it's tough but worth it is like telling them to learn command line instructions - just not going to happen.

The argument that no instruction is given in practical videos so as to preserve the market for pre-made bots of this nature doesn't stack up, by the way. It's a bit like saying that MS would release versions of Office too complicated for everyday use so that geeks could earn a living selling workarounds.

If this is a tool for hardcore enthusiasts, great - so be it. But the pitch that it's a doddle, as per the above video, is misleading, and the supporting instructional material is decidedly lazy.

• Like 1

Hey Niall. I am not arguing your points. They are well stated. I think what I am trying to say is the materials are definitely evolving from whence they came.

The side note to this is that no videos or documentation will always hit the nail on the head for what you are trying to accomplish. But if you ask in the forum you will get an exact solution to your question. To me that equates to a shorter learning curve.

"If this is a tool for hardcore enthusiasts, great - so be it. But the pitch that it's a doddle, as per the above video, is misleading, and the supporting instructional material is decidedly lazy."

I would have to disagree with this as most "newbies" are picking this up in less than a couple of weeks. The alternative would be to take a year or more to learn VB, C, C++, etc, etc

Go read the sales pitch for Instant.exe. I own it, and there is virtually NO functional documentation or support. And if you ask in the forum they tell you to read the documentation (By the way, the most current forum posts are from 2008 or earlier). It's supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread and yet, to this day (almost 7 months) I haven't been able to create one single solitary piece of software. uBot is very simple to learn and the tuts and documentations are slowly evolving, but it's still better than everything else out there. I also own winautomation. A relatively large market item. Same thing, videos that show how to do things I am NOT trying to do. But the largest part of that learning curve is addressed in the forum (like here).

If you've ever bought a piece of furniture in a box you know it comes with a mountain of instructions. But it still takes us 3-4-5 hours to put together. you get the idea.

Again, I don't disagree with what you say, but the grass isn't greener anywhere else. (That I've seen anyway)...And this tool is by far the easiest to learn.

• Like 1

As to squidoo, they have purposefully made them selfs a pain the rear by constantly changing small unseen but critical for automation elements. Seems that godaddy is following that stream too.

BTW, I didn't get banned from squidoo by doing many many accounts while setting things up. Once I was originally done, I did the sites that mattered with proxies. That is until they changed the damn site again. :angry:

I'd like to comment to Niall, I would actually have to disagree. This tool really does speak to the internet marketer. In no business can you just have the ability to hire high priced help to get stuff done. This tool for me was probably the best tool I've bought in the past two years. I was able, with just going through the videos they had plus asking questions in this community here able to do some amazing stuff.

So, I'd have to agree with Johnny Boy and say that this tool has the lowest learning curve compared to every other tool out there. I too have tried and purchased several. I still only use this one.

Yes, it was tough and that was the whole idea of this message to this thread. Be patient with yourself and the ubot team. You will get it - it just takes time.

I still say you may need to do some reading and get to know program flow. There's just no way around that one. But the education you receive from learning this is going to help you GREATLY!!!! All of my technical skills have improved 200 fold from learning how to program. I'm not great at it but can accomplish what needs to be done.

Keep plugging away and learning and in as little as a couple of weeks, you'll be doing some pretty cool stuff! Just don't try to rebuild Rome in a day. ;)

Frank

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Ive got to admit it, your absolutely correct frankie boy...

I'm happy to admit that i was one of the first to grab my refund when things started to get difficult. But after looking back on it, i found myself extremely dissapointed in myself, especially since i pride myself on problem solving.

I bought it again nevertheless, and now im "botting" away quite happily, and yes i do regret the 4 weeks i spent without it, now my only fear is that seth and the rest of the team give up on ubot, of course my fears are unjustified, but so great is the software, its not even the thought of losing the money, its losing the amazing capabilites that come with ubot.

Im not going to try and emmulate your opening post, i can merely echo what you said, give it time, and IT WILL COME.

Cheers everyone.

John

• Like 2

I am completely satisified with Ubot. I had a terrible time getting the software installed and the videos downloaded due to only having the availability of dial up. However, there is nothing that can not be over come if you make up your mind to do so.

So I am asking for some help. I am just not getting it. I want to create a classified ad submitter but just don't know where to start.

I have choosed the urls I want to post to,looked at the different sign up pages, a lot of the information is similar but then there are the odd balls as well.

It would seem that I need to create a form with the like information, then put exceptions for the different information.

After I create the form then whre do I go from there?

Or, does someone has a similar bot that I can go through the steps to see how it is done. I know if I can get a couple of these done that it will sink into my "Hard" head.

Thank You All

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

10 days to learn wow thats quick - why dont you release some tuts mate

Terminator, just pop over to my website, www.ubotjunkie.com and check out the videos... not as good as terminator (I"ll be back), but hey, I have a limited budget! ;)

• 7 months later...