UBot Underground

Large bots... what makes them slow... how to make them faster

So it seems that as the bots get bigger, they get slower and slower and slower.

In particular, the ubot studio interface itself gets REALLY SLOW when opening large ubot projects, more so than the compiled bots which don't seem to slow down too much, in comparison to the ubot studio itself anyways.

How can we make our larger bots faster and easier to work with?

I use alot of define commands, loops and lists as often as possible because it minimizes the amount of actual code ubot stores, but what else can we do to improve performance as our bots get quite large and sluggish in the ubot studio interface?

We've all been waiting for the ability to "include" libraries like we could in v3.5... my understanding is that this would speed things up immensely by streamlining the necessary code. Its the one feature I would like to see most.

I've also noticed that since the inclusion of the bot bank things have slowed to a crawl, especially with big bots, so it would be nice to have the ability to turn it off if we are not using it to help speed things up.

John has a video for streamlining your code at http://learnubot.com/featured/ubot-studio-v4-condensing-code/ and by incorporating this kind of thing into your code you can speed things up quite a bit.

Also breaking things up into bite sized chunks, clearing unused lists & variables from memory, tightening your loops, splitting things into tabs, etc. might help to speed things up as well (depending on the individual code).

Things generally flow a bit better once the code is compiled but I know working with large code within the ubot interface can be a tremendous drag so every little bit helps.

http://ubotstudio.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

It's funny you mentioned the bot bank thing, I've never used it and don't really plan on ever using it, kind of unfortunate I don't have a choice in the matter.

I also really miss the include command.

It's funny you mentioned the bot bank thing, I've never used it and don't really plan on ever using it, kind of unfortunate I don't have a choice in the matter.

I also really miss the include command.

What is bot bank?

I don't think anyone really uses it...

Focus on removing the bugs

A compiled bot will always run faster than a bot inside of UBot Studio. The reason is that it is compiled in a manner where the CPU can process it.

Now...

UBot Studio is a compiled program as well. Its function is an interpreter. It translates our requests into a form of the compiled code but in an interactive mode. That's how we can start, stop, pause and even step through the code in a controlled manner.

In most compiled languages this is how it works.

So there is no speeding up UBot Studio unless you want to remove functions and make it smaller.

So when you compile a bot (saving as an EXE file), you are really saving the executable code that UBot Studio is translating into a file for the CPU to process.

Now, the include file. In v3.x, that was our way of importing .ubot code into our bot. It was not compiled so therefore it had to be interpreted as well. So when it was used in a compiled bot it had to be interpreted when it was encountered so now that means it had to phone home to do that. The Bot Bank is the same thing (I am guessing...I dont use it and never will).

Now you see why UBot Studio is superior to other competitor products. They are selling the interpreter engine and do not offer a compiled version. My guess is that they do not have a clue as to how to make their code executable.

• Like 1

The Bot Bank is the same thing (I am guessing...I dont use it and never will).

Now you see why UBot Studio is superior to other competitor products. They are selling the interpreter engine and do not offer a compiled version. My guess is that they do not have a clue as to how to make their code executable.

Good explanation...

And there really is no competition :)

I've also noticed that since the inclusion of the bot bank things have slowed to a crawl, especially with big bots, so it would be nice to have the ability to turn it off if we are not using it to help speed things up.

http://ubotstudio.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

Like I said, and since no one seems to be using it (at least no one who is willing to own up to it) it would be nice to be able to turn it off completely and regain some of that lost speed... http://ubotstudio.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif

I doubt that there is any speed reduction. You would have to use whatever steps to engage the bank to see any CPU hits. I have never logged in to it so for anything beyond that is microscopic from a nano-second perspective.

A compiled bot will always run faster than a bot inside of UBot Studio. The reason is that it is compiled in a manner where the CPU can process it.

Now...

UBot Studio is a compiled program as well. Its function is an interpreter. It translates our requests into a form of the compiled code but in an interactive mode. That's how we can start, stop, pause and even step through the code in a controlled manner.

So there is no speeding up UBot Studio unless you want to remove functions and make it smaller.

So when you compile a bot (saving as an EXE file), you are really saving the executable code that UBot Studio is translating into a file for the CPU to process.

Now, the include file. In v3.x, that was our way of importing .ubot code into our bot. It was not compiled so therefore it had to be interpreted as well. So when it was used in a compiled bot it had to be interpreted when it was encountered so now that means it had to phone home to do that. The Bot Bank is the same thing (I am guessing...I dont use it and never will).

I disagree. If they abandoned WPF I bet it would speed up a ton.

Now...

I highly doubt they don't know how to, Zenno specifically said they don't want cheesy bots being sold but I am pretty sure it is more they want to sell more licenses. Rumors are Zenno 4 is going to support compiled bots so this will no longer be ubot's crutch.

Visual studio makes ubot look like hello world in terms of lines of code. Yet it performs very well even on older machines, on my super computer it screams.

Ubot is not all that complex (although extremely useful and potentially powerful) that it should perform so slowly.

Interesting. My comments were from a general perspective. As in a 10,000ft level looking down. Compiled vs. Interpretive. Compiled will be faster (given proper programming).

And concerning the competition you mentioned...well...I have nothing good to say about them. If I thought it was a worthwhile product it would be in my toolbox.

Interesting. My comments were from a general perspective. As in a 10,000ft level looking down. Compiled vs. Interpretive. Compiled will be faster (given proper programming).

And concerning the competition you mentioned...well...I have nothing good to say about them. If I thought it was a worthwhile product it would be in my toolbox.

Well ubot isn't compiled and nether is the "compiled bots" it is run via an interpreted runtime (.net). But running in "compiled form" without ubot studio does perform better (albeit still slow depending on complexity).

• 1 month later...

Does this really make sense?

It seems to me that ubot is essentially a code "writer" writing the code to make the bot work. Isn't this basically the same thing that dreamweaver does? Dreamweaver is super fast.

Maybe I'm wrong, just my thinking.

Like I said, and since no one seems to be using it (at least no one who is willing to own up to it) it would be nice to be able to turn it off completely and regain some of that lost speed... http://ubotstudio.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/mellow.gif

I am actually using the private bot bank, but only because it speeds up the interface for large bots. I use it for my "include" commands. If the interface were faster I wouldn't use it at all.