UBot Underground

Mask UI values

I've created a couple bots where the user places login information into ui text boxes. I'm wondering if there is a way to set a box to mask the values that go into the box (for passwords)?

I still think this is a good idea and yet I have the dev version.

http://ubotstudio.com/forum/index.php?/topic/9264-add-an-attribute-to-the-ui-textbox/page__p__47292__fromsearch__1#entry47292

Maybe included in the dev version but still for UI components!?

I'm trying to figure out the logic here. What is the point of hiding the password from the person who already knows it? In case someone is looking over their shoulder?

It complicates things, IMO, if the password is typed incorrectly.

John

In that case John, why do every operating system mask out the passwords? It's not because of the person who writes it but because of people who might be standing around, it's just a matter of security and make it look professional.

There are things that you can do in HTML panel, but there are also things where you NEED a UI component, e.g. saving files locally, so if you need to save files locally you just have to use a UI Save File. Mixing HTML and UI components is not optimal.

Yeah...I didn't really mean it was a bad idea, as I can think of a couple of reasons why it's a good idea...I just didn't see it as necessary, that's all. But it is useful.

John

One of my clients asked about it because he starts the bot and then walks away and does other things. He had concerns that his password is then out there for hours for all to see.

I just rewrote the bot to pull his login information from a file on his machine which worked around the issue and he was fine with the solution (as a funny aside, he was going to put a piece of duct tape over that part of the screen as his fix!.)

It's just for a bot that might be used/sold to a number of people, it would be easier to simply have the password masked is all.

There is an interesting debate on the virtues of password masking at http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2009/07/the_pros_and_co.html for anyone interested.

There is a pretty easy way for dev licence holders to accomplish this as well.

http://ubotstudio.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

There is a pretty easy way for dev licence holders to accomplish this as well.

Yes, and no. Let's say that you have a bot where you want to save results to your local drive. How would you do? Have a combination of HTML panel and UI Save file command? AFAIK there is no way of instructing HTML to enable saving of e.g. CSV files to your local drive, probably because this was never the intention because HTML is a rendered on the server side while, when it's used in UB, it's rendered on the client side in UB and it makes sense there.

Maybe I am lost. Please let me know in that case. :unsure:

Yes, and no. Let's say that you have a bot where you want to save results to your local drive. How would you do? Have a combination of HTML panel and UI Save file command? AFAIK there is no way of instructing HTML to enable saving of e.g. CSV files to your local drive, probably because this was never the intention because HTML is a rendered on the server side while, when it's used in UB, it's rendered on the client side in UB and it makes sense there.

Maybe I am lost. Please let me know in that case. :unsure:

I don't understand what you mean by this. Are you talking about saving the inputted data to a csv?

John

John,

yes, that could be it. You want to save your data to something and you want to select the file of the file you want to store it to.

I am not able to do that, because a file dialogue requires that the file exists. Am I doing something wrong?