UBot Underground

Advice needed on how to run ubot.exe on a vps

Hi guys

I know some of you have experience running a compiled ubot on a vps, and it's something I need to investigate, so here's a couple of questions...

1) I want to create a user account on a windows hosted vps (with all the .net etc requirements), and put a ubot on it that needs to go out and log in to sites, make posts etc, and then save the results into it's own mySQL database. Then a client ubot running on a users pc navigates to the vps account, retrieves information from the database and displays it on the users pc. Does this seem feasable? (by the way, I'm happy with writing both ubot's to do the actual processes, it's the fact that one needs to be on a server so that it can run 24/7 without the user having to leave a pc running that's new to me)

2) What is the best way to check that the vps based ubot is still running and hasn't fallen over, got stuck in a loop, or to be able to stop it / restart it ?

Can anyone offer any advice please?

Best Regards

Phil

Well...I have a Win VPS and I just use a remote desktop connection to keep tabs on it...you could allow access from a clients bot, but that would require distributing the credentials. Your best bet might be hosting a flat file on a linux server that they can access directly.

John

Well...I have a Win VPS and I just use a remote desktop connection to keep tabs on it...you could allow access from a clients bot, but that would require distributing the credentials. Your best bet might be hosting a flat file on a linux server that they can access directly.

John

Thanks for that John, I still haven't ruled it out, but your reply has made me rethink what I actually need to do on the server and what the client ubot can do, and by moving things around I think I might be able to write what the server now needs in php, therefore I can use my linux servers.

I know the need to run ubot on a vps will come back in the future though, I can't hope to code ubot's functionality in php

Best Regards

Phil

Hey Phil. I am very inexperienced with the Win VPS, but if it's the same as using my Windows machine, I am guessing you can create user accounts (ones that don't require passwords even if you want). That may be an option if it works that way.

John

Ubot is a windows based application, so it won't run on linux, but that's not really the direction he is going in. It's about using web based apps and/or files that can be accessed by UBot.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Just to clarify, I have a requirement coming up for an instance of ubot to run on a vps running window, not linux. The reason is that I want the bot to to run 24/7 (well more exactly to be able to run 24/7, on a scheduled basis) which can't be done from home without leaving a pc permanantly running, even when I'm away from home.

I would then run a 'client' ubot say once or twice a day from home which would then log into the vps and retrieve the saved data from the ubot on the server.

I've zero experience with a vps running windows, so I'm not even sure what specs I need to do this. Any feedback from anyone who has/is running ubot (compiled that is, all development I would do at home on my laptop) would be very welcome.

Phil

Do you have the vps Phil? For the most part it's exactly like working on the machine you're on now...you just connect using Remote Desktop. The only difference will be the OS version. I have a win vps running 2008 r2. I run two apps 24/7 on it. The apps run great, but the "interaction" with the server is slow (I have like 1 gb ram).

John

Do you have the vps Phil? For the most part it's exactly like working on the machine you're on now...you just connect using Remote Desktop. The only difference will be the OS version. I have a win vps running 2008 r2. I run two apps 24/7 on it. The apps run great, but the "interaction" with the server is slow (I have like 1 gb ram).

John

Hi John

No I don't have it yet. I didn't want to commit to another $$ per month until I learned more, and was happy that it was indeed possible to run ubot's on one. My hosting provider can supply a windows based vps, but I didn't know what to ask for, and he doesn't know what ubot is, so we were both pretty much in the dark!

Thanks for giving me your vps specs, one option I have is 1GB ram, 40Gb disk space, and 2008 r2 server (although I think I need to supply this myself) so at least I have a good idea now what to ask for.

Many thanks for your input,

Phil

Hey Phil,

Running UBOT on a VPS is quite simple. Once you sign up for the service they will give you an IP address, a user name and a password.

Then you login to it by using windows remote connection on your regular computer. You can find it by typing mstsc.exe into your search bar. Then you type in the IP address, the username, and the password.

Like john said, there is a little bit of a lag between your computer and the VPS. I currently have 5 different VPS's running bots 24/7. I recently swithced to the provider in my signature, and they have an AWESOME internet connection.

Sitting in the airport right now waiting for my plane, when I get back I can make a video for you if you'd like.

HTH

Justin

Hey Phil,

Running UBOT on a VPS is quite simple. Once you sign up for the service they will give you an IP address, a user name and a password.

Then you login to it by using windows remote connection on your regular computer. You can find it by typing mstsc.exe into your search bar. Then you type in the IP address, the username, and the password.

Like john said, there is a little bit of a lag between your computer and the VPS. I currently have 5 different VPS's running bots 24/7. I recently swithced to the provider in my signature, and they have an AWESOME internet connection.

Sitting in the airport right now waiting for my plane, when I get back I can make a video for you if you'd like.

HTH

Justin

Hi Justin

Thanks for that. Sounds like I need to get the bot finished so I have something to test, and then just go for a vps with the specs similar to what John gave.

Have a good flight!

Phil

I'd love to know what Windows hosting people are using that they are satisfied with. (And have used for some time. There are lots of server that do good, but then die off, so to speak.) :)

I really like LiquidWeb.com, but I have been using their Linux stuff for years, killer support and killer up time.

They have a $100/month Windows VPS, but that's more than I want to pay for a Windows server at this time.

???

I'd love to know what Windows hosting people are using that they are satisfied with. (And have used for some time. There are lots of server that do good, but then die off, so to speak.) :)

I really like LiquidWeb.com, but I have been using their Linux stuff for years, killer support and killer up time.

They have a $100/month Windows VPS, but that's more than I want to pay for a Windows server at this time.

???

Hey McD,

I have been using VPS servers with 2008 r2 for quite some time. I do know what you mean though when you say the "die off" over time. This is something that I experienced a couple of times with different providers.

However, I have found that if you maintain your server in the same way you would your computer (i.e. - weekly virus scans, regular de-fragging of the hard drive, using cc cleaner on a weekly basis, and keeping your registry clean) then you can prevent this from happening.

LiquidWeb seems incredibly high on their price. For example, the host provider in my signature offers pretty much the same thing for only $40 a month. And keep in mind that is with Unlimited, Blazing fast connection.

I suggest that if you are truly interested in a VPS then you should shop around and find one that suits your individual needs.

Justin

• 1 month later...

I have a vps running a bot every now and then and the results get saved directly into Dropbox, which is also installed on the vps. This is turn is syncd tommy pc and portable devices.

The host I am using for this is jvds.com and costs $18 per month. Not the best thing in the world the vps but does exactly as I need.