UBot Underground

To Plugin Creators: May I ask you to please prefix your functions, commands etc?

To Plugin Creators:  May I ask you to please prefix your functions, command etc?

It's getting really hard to know what function is part of what plugin. Some of you have prefixed your commands and functions with the name of the plugin (I love it! :) ), while others have done this partially. When your custom made command and functions are sorted in under the existing structure in the UBot Studio toolbox, it's really hard to know to which plugin a certain command or function belongs.

My simple and humble request is only that you prefix the names of your commands and functions to the name you have of your plugin, or to some other name that is unique and can be separated from other things in UBot Studio.

...or are there any good arguments against this approach?

Thank you!

First i think this goes under Requests category , lol

but you have a good point.

Personally i think i made all my commands with special names and prefixes under custom categories to make it easy to find ! probebly few left with general names !

To be the Devil's advocate here... the more plugin Devs would there be, at some point it may become extremely tedious to look for the command/function needed.

The best approach would have been that each command and each function/parameter would have been put in their corresponding categories, irrespective of the plugin developer, based on their FUNCTIONALITY, just as the original UBS core commands/functions were...

Just think about it - imagine first 10 Devs with 2-3 plugins each... then double that, say in a few months... and so forth...

Soon, one would need a couple minutes only to scroll the commands TAB to find the appropriate one to use on some project...

Unfortunately, due to the KEY restrictions, that made plugin Devs put many features under the same umbrella of a single plugin, which is bad, combined to their wish to provide customers with a great experience - that made them add functionality and that is in fact GREAT...

the only solution that we have atm is the one that keeps things as they are...

• 4 months later...

Hmmm... The number of arguments in favor of separating the method names in 3rd party plugins by prefixing them with a unique ID of the 3rd party just increases IMHO. I have bought Aymen's excellent FTP plugin, but now FTP is also supported by the UBot Studio platform itself. It's really hard to find what methods belong to each other. In this case one manufacturer uses small caps while the other do not, but in fact everyone could use the very same method names. It's just really confusing!

Pls see the attached screenshot.

post-2670-0-41697400-1376985547_thumb.jpg

Thanks Aymen, I hope you do not take it the wrong way. It's a generic problem, but what makes you and some others here unique is that you are responsive to new ideas. Thanks again!

Actually, the more I think of it it should be supported by the UBS platform.

I totally agree, it's becoming a mess so something should be done around that.

I also think we should use lower case letters for functions/commands names so they are formatted consistently with UBot core ones are, and not the way UBot users could create them via define command (for example I always use at least some uppercase letter in define commands).

However, I think both of the problems could be sorted out on UBot side...besides that they should be also reviewing the plugins themselves, names that they use and categories so that they maintain some control over that.

I really hope v5 will also bring some new features in API/plugin area...