UBot Underground

Ubot 4.1.5 Unstable?

Just right now, I lost my work as Ubot 4.1.5 crashed and took with it a two week coding project. Worse yet, the bot recovery offered nothing to get me back to my original state.

Symptoms:

I knew something was wrong when I clicked on my variable list and saw only 2 out of the 6 I had set. In Custom Commands, there were zero shown when I had 6 created. The whole romper room user interface was hosed and lost internal state.

Word to the wise:

Backup often and more than you think you need to.

Fortunately I backed up and retained 70% of the project. And of course, the 30% of the work lost was the most difficult part of the project that took the most time.

Split your work in small tasks and save every time you finish one of those tasks.

This is a very good habit to get in to. In addition, every time I start a new session for example first thing in the morning, after lunch etc, I always start by saving the current version as a new one, ie MyNewBot_18 becomes MyNewBot_19, and write in my notes what stage I'm at and what I'm currently working on.

I know ubot has a habit of falling over on a regular basis, but regular version control also covers my own 'mistakes' when I decide to make changes and then find out later I'd wish I hadn't !

Phil

Yeah I learned pretty early on that you have to be careful. I am obsessively paranoid about saving my work so I don't lose anything.

Hoping that the Ubot developers are hard at work to make Ubot better and implement our most requested features. ;)