UBot Underground

$Special Folder > Application (and more)

I assumed that ($Special Folder > Application) would be the location where the compiled bot was running from (installed).

So, for example if the bot was installed in: c:\Bots

and then referencing within the bot: $Special Folder > Application\file.txt (c:\Bots\file.txt) would be used.

That doesn't seem to be the case. I have looked for documentation to explain what these locations are, but cannot find anything:

$Special Folder > Application

$Special Folder > Application Data

???

Thanks.

the idea is that Application is the same folder, that the application resides in.

If the app is on your desktop. then Special folder > Application

means your desktop.

If you move the exe to C:

then C: is the application folder.

If your wanting the folder Bots that is in C:\Bots\

and in your application you have it set to Special Folders > Application

then the exe must be inside the Bots folder as well to pull that text file properly.

• Like 1

the idea is that Application is the same folder, that the application resides in.

If the app is on your desktop. then Special folder > Application

means your desktop.

If you move the exe to C:

then C: is the application folder.

If your wanting the folder Bots that is in C:\Bots\

and in your application you have it set to Special Folders > Application

then the exe must be inside the Bots folder as well to pull that text file properly.

Thanks, that's what I have .... take a look at the screencast:

http://screenr.com/SDJs

But it can't find the file ... ???

not sure why your using Ubot Studio folder for storing things.

Anyways - click on the top area where it shows the directory path and see what it shows there.

also open debugger in the top of the development area and see if the variable is being set as well.

not sure why your using Ubot Studio folder for storing things.

Anyways - click on the top area where it shows the directory path and see what it shows there.

also open debugger in the top of the development area and see if the variable is being set as well.

Hey LoWrIdErTJ,

I was using uBot Studio folder since I was just testing.

Directory path, according to the error (script pop-up), shows where it's "trying to look", seems correct. Not sure which "top area" you are referring to.

In the debugger, it never gets set, because in the error (script pop-up), it says it can't find the file.

Here is the code:

navigate("http://www.google.com", "Wait")

set(#file2, $read file("url.txt"), "Global")

navigate(#file2, "Wait")

The first line is just so that I can see it go from Google to my URL stored in url.txt

I do see in your video what you are talking about... I'm so used to Windows XP, New on Windows 7 machine now... let me look at this. (But from the above code, I thought that would reference a file within the same location as the bot that is running.)

Should be using

navigate("http://www.google.com", "Wait")
set(#file2, $read file("{$special folder("Program Files")}\\Ubot Studio\\file.txt"), "Global")
navigate(#file2, "Wait")

Example Video Tutorial

http://screencast.com/t/Umv4S3gdbM

Trying to get it to work does not seem to work with Application as the location of the file.

http://screenr.com/eZJs

In the video I think I have the forward slash in the path to url.txt, but I have tried it both ways:

/url.txt

\url.txt

Neither change the result, but at least now it seems to be looking in the right location, but it just can't seem to ssee the .txt file.

I dont think you watched my video..

Watch it I explain it very clearly for you.

It might think to pull from Ubot Studio folder. but its not set that way in the read file specifically.

It has to be placed in literal coding. It wont assume.

again before file.txt

should be

\Ubot Studio\file.txt

after the special folder is set to program files

I did watch the video, sorry if I missed something.

In this test case, I have the following:

Compiled bot Location:

(Which could be anywhere by the end user)

desktop/temp/test2.exe

Location of URL to read:

desktop/temp/url.txt

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

In my original question, I assume(d) that uBot would interpret

$Special Folder > Application

as the literal location of the compiled bot, in this case: desktop/temp/

so, then the url.txt could be located within: desktop/temp/

which it is.

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

I'll look at your video again, but I am not trying to hard code a location for the bot. Again, if my understanding of what this means "$Special Folder > Application" then I need to figure out how to get uBot to know how to read a file from where it is located (and not a fixed hard location).

http://screencast.com/t/NhdNDVn9Bj2b

I think this video will shed some light on it for you with the step by step process bud.

From what you ahve been trying is how things used to work in Ubot v3.5 but no longer defaults to the program files/Ubot folder.

In v4 its the save location of the .ubot file or the compiled bot that is used for the application start location.

Ok, now I understand what uBot does, but now comes the question...

Is there not a way to have uBot pull from the directory where the compiled bot is installed?

And end user may decide to install the compiled bot in a different directory than uBot was "coded" on.

Make sense?

And then for the compiled bot to pull data from the folder in which it was installed...

???

P.S. Check your forum mail. I sent you an email question regarding one of your paid bots. :)

if you code the bot Special Folder (Application)

they can install it wherever, then create a shortcut for it. that way it still pulls from its main Application folder.

If they install it in one area. and move the exe out of the folder where it was with its support folders, files that the program needs there is no way for the Bot to auto search the PC for what "Could be" the location.