UBot Underground

Scraping from Google Places

Hey guys,

First of all... I'm LOVING UBot. It's going to make my products so much easier to create.

Secondly, I'm trying to scrape some info from Google Places. Here's an example page I'd be scraping from.

http://goo.gl/maps/2ktE

Now, the first thing I'm trying to scrape is the business name. I've tried by both attribute and position, but there's nothing identifying in the attribute, and the position changes from page to page.

What can I use to scrape this correctly every time?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Ok, I see your problem. Try this...

Make sure you are logged into Google and have your bot click on the "Edit this place" link...You will find a nice surprise

Ok. I have done my fair share of Google Places and here is the official low down.

Stay away from it. I cannot tell you how many times Google changes the underlying html code that breaks UBot. I have shelved my code.

Sorry for the negative comment.

Thanks guys for the different comments.

BotBuddy, I've seen this too... I have another program I've done by hand (AIR app) and I've had to change it a few times thanks to constant changes in their code... Can't really blame them as they don't want people like me making programs like this though :)