UBot Underground

Change Home Page

Hi guys,

I've just done a search, but I can't find this info anywhere.

How do I change the Home Page of compiled bots? When my bots startup, I want them to display my website NOT ubotstudio.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks.

Come on.

This shouldn't be at all difficult to do.

I am really surprised nobody has complained about this. When I paid $200, I didn't do that to provide free marketing for ubot. It's bad enough that we have the Powered By Ubot link there.

People have asked about that, but months later - it's still there.

I just DO NOT get this.

So when exactly will this be done?

Thanks.

Come on.

This shouldn't be at all difficult to do.

I am really surprised nobody has complained about this. When I paid $200, I didn't do that to provide free marketing for ubot. It's bad enough that we have the Powered By Ubot link there.

People have asked about that, but months later - it's still there.

I just DO NOT get this.

So when exactly will this be done?

Thanks.

Generally, the marketing isn't free. If you're an affiliate, then you'll get credit for the sale. And you're right, it wouldn't be terribly hard from a technological standpoint, but there are a lot of strategic considerations when it comes to making a decision like this. Understand that when you sell a UBot compiled bot (which I assume is the reason you're upset about the branding), you're selling them about 90% UBot technology and 10% your own work in scripting. Having the powered by link isn't really too much to ask for. We actually had the default page load to ubotstudio.com, but we got rid of that as a compromise with our customers.

The other part of it is just that we add features according to priority and how much time we have. We'll never have enough features to make everyone happy, so the best we can do is add the features that are the most important to our core mission and to the largest slice of our community. Adding the feature you said, while not difficult, would take a bit of time, and while it is something that's on our list, there are also some more important considerations that just have to take priority.

Don't get me wrong, Seth. I love UBot. And yes UBot does the majority of the heavy lifting for us. I wouldn't even have bothered creating commercial automation tools if UBot did not exist.

I was initially upset about the powered by link because I didn't want my customers to know what technology I used, but I've come round to accepting it (especially if I'll get some affiliate commission in the bargain :P ).

The bit that I was shocked about (I didn't know until alcr told me) is the default page thing. Are you saying that compiled bots no longer default to ubotstudio? Mine still do? How do I change that then?

Also, I've asked (by email) how to get the Powered By link changed to my affiliate link, but haven't got a response yet.

Thanks for your calm and considered response. I think I overreacted, but I always assumed that it was possible to change the default page, and was shocked to discover I couldn't.

Can I ask you to please consider making this a priority? The Workflow of the tool I am working on depends on this feature.

Thanks.

Generally, the marketing isn't free. If you're an affiliate, then you'll get credit for the sale. And you're right, it wouldn't be terribly hard from a technological standpoint, but there are a lot of strategic considerations when it comes to making a decision like this. Understand that when you sell a UBot compiled bot (which I assume is the reason you're upset about the branding), you're selling them about 90% UBot technology and 10% your own work in scripting. Having the powered by link isn't really too much to ask for. We actually had the default page load to ubotstudio.com, but we got rid of that as a compromise with our customers.

The other part of it is just that we add features according to priority and how much time we have. We'll never have enough features to make everyone happy, so the best we can do is add the features that are the most important to our core mission and to the largest slice of our community. Adding the feature you said, while not difficult, would take a bit of time, and while it is something that's on our list, there are also some more important considerations that just have to take priority.

Understand that when you sell a UBot compiled bot (which I assume is the reason you're upset about the branding), you're selling them about 90% UBot technology and 10% your own work in scripting. Having the powered by link isn't really too much to ask for.

I can live with the link (not that I have a choice) but I think that's a bit of a weak arguement...

Maybe Microsoft should force people to have "written using Microsoft Word" printed at the foot of every document? After all when you write a document it is 90% their technology that allows you to write it and 10% what you actually write? My Nokia phone doesn't announce to the person I text or phone that the call was made possible by Nokia, yet what I say or type is surely a tiny percentage compared to their technology that makes it possible.

I own Neobooks excellent rapid application builder which I use to write and compile database apps. It sells for a similar price and they don't have any reference to the tool that built the product in the compiled version, yet a vast number of people who develop with it put 'Built with Neosoft' messages and buttons in their apps - and they don't even have an affiliate program!

Given the choice, since I know I get an affiliate commission if they follow the link I'd probably leave it turned on anyway. It would just be nice to have the choice via a tick box or something.

Just my 2 pennys worth.

Regards,

Andy

• Like 1

I can live with the link (not that I have a choice) but I think that's a bit of a weak arguement...

Maybe Microsoft should force people to have "written using Microsoft Word" printed at the foot of every document? After all when you write a document it is 90% their technology that allows you to write it and 10% what you actually write? My Nokia phone doesn't announce to the person I text or phone that the call was made possible by Nokia, yet what I say or type is surely a tiny percentage compared to their technology that makes it possible.

I own Neobooks excellent rapid application builder which I use to write and compile database apps. It sells for a similar price and they don't have any reference to the tool that built the product in the compiled version, yet a vast number of people who develop with it put 'Built with Neosoft' messages and buttons in their apps - and they don't even have an affiliate program!

Given the choice, since I know I get an affiliate commission if they follow the link I'd probably leave it turned on anyway. It would just be nice to have the choice via a tick box or something.

Just my 2 pennys worth.

Regards,

Andy

I don't really want to get into a big thing about this, but the example you used with microsoft wasn't really valid. When you save a document in word, and you sell someone the document, you're selling a file that has text in it, or at best, formatted text. When you make a bot in UBot Studio and sell it, you're giving them what is essentially a stripped down version of UBot Studio. A compiled bot is basically UBot minus the scripting window. A word document doesn't contain any of the word software in it, whereas a compiled bot is essentially the UBot software with a script preloaded in it. Do you see the difference, and why this is more of a licensing concern for us?

As for neobooks, UBot Studio was never intended to be an application development tool. The bot compilation system was intended to be a convenient way to use bots. I'm not saying that we won't expand it to be more friendly to bot resellers, but as of right now, that's not its intended purpose, as it is with neobooks.

As for neobooks, UBot Studio was never intended to be an application development tool. The bot compilation system was intended to be a convenient way to use bots. I'm not saying that we won't expand it to be more friendly to bot resellers, but as of right now, that's not its intended purpose, as it is with neobooks.

OK, I appreciate that. But if that is really the case why make such a big deal out of the compile feature on the sales page? Where it details the compile option as a wow feature and talks about its use for distribution and selling.

If it isn't it's intended purpose then it maybe shouldn't be a key point?

" #3 - Bot Compiler: Turn Your Bots into Independent Software You can Distribute or Sell."

Having said that let me be clear - I love ubot and am already turning out some good stuff with it after only a few days of use.

Best wishes,

Andy

One point that might be worth making is that I know of people that haven't bought UBot because of the Powered by link. So I'm pretty sure it's affecting sales... though I don't know by how much.

OK, I appreciate that. But if that is really the case why make such a big deal out of the compile feature on the sales page? Where it details the compile option as a wow feature and talks about its use for distribution and selling.

If it isn't it's intended purpose then it maybe shouldn't be a key point?

" #3 - Bot Compiler: Turn Your Bots into Independent Software You can Distribute or Sell."

Best wishes,

Andy