UBot Underground

How I made an easy "license" solution

Hi you all. I have just begun to make bots, buying ubot myself just 2 days ago. But in the making of my first real bot I found that I would like to be able to disable a user of a bot at any time.

The reason is this:

I made a bot that my moderators of my classifieds ads site could use to delete a spam ad, without the need to log into my administration area - and without giving them access to my back end.

BUT I would like to be able to disable a certain moderator's bot if I no longer could trust him/ her.

The same applies for other bots that I would like to sell, with a simple license solution. Yes, I mean very simple.

So this is my quick solution for a simple license solution for ubot compiled bots:

1)

Not in the bot, but on the internet: I made a HTML page where I wrote the moderators license number. This could also be his email adress, or anything else. One license on each line, mostly because that helps me keeping track of all.

2)

In the bot: I made a UI textfield that set a input to the variable #license. My text field could say "Enter your email adress here" (the email adress is the license in this case)

3)

In the bot: I made a "IF" statement in the bot, navigating to the specific URL and then check if it could find the variable #license on the page.

If it did find #license = some text on the URL, it should set an update to the variable #status that "The license is valid!" (that displays in the user interface) and continue to do the rest of the bot.

If it dis NOT find #license = some text on the URL, it should update to the variable #status that "The license is NOT valid! Contact me@mydomain.com" (that displays in the user interface), then show an alert with the same message, and then stop the bot.

Since I have few moderators and "never" need to change the license file, I just do it with an FTP connection manually. But you could also use a hidden page in your CMS (wordpress, joomla, easyedit) or even make your own license script that keeps all the licenses in a MySQL. The possibilities are endless.

But what I would share with you was the simple way of doing these things. Probably not the most secure and crack free, but simple :-)

If anyone can find what URL the bot is visiting, they can easily tell their computer to redirect that call to another URL - but I fint low possibility that anybody will use time to try this... Especially for my bots.

PS: What I would do next is to add a extra check that says the bot will run if it can not find the URL (so my potential down time should not restrict my users), OR make it check on a second UERL (other server) if the first is down. Not sure how to do this though :-)

Ok, that was not the best explaination or solution ever made, but might be worth something for one or two of you :-)

• Like 1

Definitely a good share for your 4th post!

I did something similar with a bot, where I put a certain statement on one of my websites.

Then an if statement checks to see if it's still there, and if it is it continues...  If not it alerts them that their copy is no longer valid.

The only bad thing about this is manually having to hard code specifics inside the bot.

Good if your only selling or giving away a few copies, but when you are selling hundreds/thousands of copies it becomes a real headache...  And quite un-manageable.

Yes, unless you somehow make it automatically.

For instance I believe this will work:

1) After a sale, redirect the buyer to a siet (for instance a hidden WP install)

2) Tell the buyer to registrate on the WP site to get access to the software

3) When the user have installed the software, they tend to run it - right?

4) In the UI in the software, make a tab called "license"

5) Tell the user to write their email adress there. Then get the software to add that email adress to a txt file called for instance "donotdelete.txt"

6) Make a UI stat saying "The license is locked to (email)"

7) In the software, have the same solution as mentioned above - but call a php file that checks if the email adress is inside the WP database. If is is, return a "true".- If not, return a "false"

This way the license solution can be automated. BUT it will still be simple. It will NOT restrict uses on many PCs simultanious, so it will not restrict sharing the software with others.  Unless you make a php script that checks that not many are using the same key (email adress) from many different IPs at once.

can make the same thing with a wordpress installation !

on bot load , go to a wp site backend and try to log in , if it login successfully then license working , if not , license is inactive !

but for your 4th post , you defenitly having a short learning curve , same as me when i started , got the whole ubot thing figured out in a week :)

I don't like the idea of every copy navigating to my site for license verification because if my site is down then everybody's bot doesn't launch and then I face a lot of angry customers.

I wrote:

PS: What I would do next is to add a extra check that says the bot will run if it can not find the URL (so my potential down time should not restrict my users), OR make it check on a second UERL (other server) if the first is down. Not sure how to do this though :-)

Then that should not be any problem :-)

Also, it's not possible to engrave each user's license number on their bot as that would mean, I'd have to compile the same bot over and over again for each user.

I think you missed the point. The licensenumber or license email is NOT hard coded into the bot, but is prompted to the user to input into a UI textfield that records the input as a variable (that may be added to a txt file).

YOU as the seller do ONLY need to add the user's email adress og license key to an online source. It could be a mySQL database, an online .txt file or html page for instance.:-)

Any idea how to go about encrypting everything?

It takes a lot of work to do properly. You might want to study the Android License Verification Library if you want a working example from the real world. Or just use a readymade solution :)

I have been working on solution for this as well. I am using the Wordpress membership plugin called S2 Member and the Wordpress Lock Down script that came with the Bogor JavaScript Generator.

The buy pays on your site (or is sent to PayPal). Once they pay they are directed to a page to create a username and password. TJ's WordPress Lockdown script has your bot login to this Wordpress site. If they are a paid member they get to use the program. If they are not a paid member the program stops.

S2 Member is free. You can use it to limit the amount of downloads a customer perform in a given amount of time. You can also limit the amount of IP addresses the customer can use.

I think this is a great solution for lower priced bots. My feeling is that if you are really going to sell bots you need a more robust system that actually protects the bot from being hacked. I am looking into TJs new system. It seems like the best solution if you are selling your bots on a regular basis.

Let me know if you have any questions about how I set up S2 Member.

• 4 weeks later...

the lockdown script is ubot code, thats stored in a library inside the code generator.  you can see a link to the software in my sig below.

the skype software was built in vb.net

and only purcahsable from www.skypemarketingsoftware.com now.