UBot Underground

Best Way to Work with Page Redirects?

I have encountered issues with page redirects previously, but the problem just presented itself to me again and thought I would bring it up. Perhaps there is a better way of dealing with these.

My example. I was creating a bot this morning that would create feeds at rss.icerocket.com. For some reason, they feel the need to redirect the page every time you do something. For instance, after logging in, you are taken to a page that says "please what while you are being redirected", or whatever, and then it takes me to my account page.

The problem is that when I use a "wait finish" command the script stops waiting as soon as the "waiting to redirect" page loads, which in turn screws up the bot because it is looking for attributes that aren't on that page. So to deal with this, I add a "delay" command after the wait finish, 5 seconds is usually enough. However, I have a fast Internet connection and this page reload often depends on the speed of your connection, so while 5 seconds is enough for me, other users may get script errors because the correct page didn't load in time. So, to combat this, you have to add a much longer delay command, that allows for slow connections or slow server response time, etc. Which makes the wait excruciatingly painful for those of us with faster connections.

Does any of this make sense and is there a better way of tackling this issue?

I have encountered issues with page redirects previously, but the problem just presented itself to me again and thought I would bring it up. Perhaps there is a better way of dealing with these.

My example. I was creating a bot this morning that would create feeds at rss.icerocket.com. For some reason, they feel the need to redirect the page every time you do something. For instance, after logging in, you are taken to a page that says "please what while you are being redirected", or whatever, and then it takes me to my account page.

The problem is that when I use a "wait finish" command the script stops waiting as soon as the "waiting to redirect" page loads, which in turn screws up the bot because it is looking for attributes that aren't on that page. So to deal with this, I add a "delay" command after the wait finish, 5 seconds is usually enough. However, I have a fast Internet connection and this page reload often depends on the speed of your connection, so while 5 seconds is enough for me, other users may get script errors because the correct page didn't load in time. So, to combat this, you have to add a much longer delay command, that allows for slow connections or slow server response time, etc. Which makes the wait excruciatingly painful for those of us with faster connections.

Does any of this make sense and is there a better way of tackling this issue?

Use 'Wait For' which waits for something you know will be on the page it redirects to. For some reason 'wait for' does not appear in the list of flow commands or in the script reference but it is there if you search for it.

Andy

Use 'Wait For' which waits for something you know will be on the page it redirects to. For some reason 'wait for' does not appear in the list of flow commands but it is there if you search for it.

Andy

Ahhh. This is one of those times where I stand back and kick myself a few times! Never even thought about using "wait for", guess I was just stuck in a "wait finish" rut. lol

Thanks Andy!

Use 'Wait For' which waits for something you know will be on the page it redirects to. For some reason 'wait for' does not appear in the list of flow commands or in the script reference but it is there if you search for it.

Andy

Notified Seth :)