UBot Underground

LinkedIn waging its battle against “scrapers”

Something I thought may be interesting for us here.

LinkedIn is still waging its battle against “scrapers”, who use software to automatically harvest publicly available personal information from the social network.

And that fight has today wound up in a California court where the website's bosses are trying to unmask the miscreants who have reaped the site for users' employment histories and other data.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/09/data_scrapers_used_amazon_cloud_linkedin/

Something I thought may be interesting for us here.

LinkedIn is still waging its battle against “scrapers”, who use software to automatically harvest publicly available personal information from the social network.

And that fight has today wound up in a California court where the website's bosses are trying to unmask the miscreants who have reaped the site for users' employment histories and other data.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/09/data_scrapers_used_amazon_cloud_linkedin/

Funny how you write "publicly" available as if they are stopping us from scraping information we have the right to.

They are waging a "war" against people who are driving their cost of doing business up.. They are not stopping regular people from viewing or seeing anything, they are stopping parasitical entities from bringing up their bottom line. They have every right to stop US from scrapping their "public" information. Its their site, its their hosting, its their money that is being spent to insure the REAL ppl who want to view that information can.

I happen to make money off of gathering information from "public" places and i stand behind them, they have every right to try and stop people from abusing their services. 

I enjoy when sites trying to make things harder, i love a challenge.

In all between the bottom listed bots, there is more than 65 fully programmed features for linkedin automation, scraping, and even search and scrape to mysql DB, with full blown jquery interface

http://content.screencast.com/users/lowridertj/folders/Snagit/media/f68aeb45-0b1a-4518-a2c3-64fa34051985/01.11.2014-12.png

• Like 1

I enjoy when sites trying to make things harder, i love a challenge.

In all between the bottom listed bots, there is more than 65 fully programmed features for linkedin automation, scraping, and even search and scrape to mysql DB, with full blown jquery interface

http://content.screencast.com/users/lowridertj/folders/Snagit/media/f68aeb45-0b1a-4518-a2c3-64fa34051985/01.11.2014-12.png

lol dang i was looking for the download link somewhere...

Funny how you write "publicly" available as if they are stopping us from scraping information we have the right to.

They are waging a "war" against people who are driving their cost of doing business up.. They are not stopping regular people from viewing or seeing anything, they are stopping parasitical entities from bringing up their bottom line. They have every right to stop US from scrapping their "public" information. Its their site, its their hosting, its their money that is being spent to insure the REAL ppl who want to view that information can.

I happen to make money off of gathering information from "public" places and i stand behind them, they have every right to try and stop people from abusing their services. 

ROFL Ive been called alot of things... but parasitical entities... theres a first...

(no offense taken, a parasite can have many benefits to the host)

Its unfortunate that gmail, facebook and other social entities scrapes and sells the same information... just like we do... and no because they own the company doesn't automatically "opt-in" a persons social profile to this type of activity...

I geuss when a large company does it... its not considered a parasite...

Its part of their terms of service agreements which is why those larger networks seem to always have so many legal issues with privacy.

While we give them the right to use our information with their partners its not ok for us to use the information we obtain in manners we like as we didnt have them upon sign up give us that same permission.

Its more of a 1 way street,

However its much like my gaming sites ive built for years.

I grant the players the right to play on there, I dont have to let them play.  And they seem to forget that from time to time.

Much like they allow us into their network however dont have to let us be there.

:) If your not buying a product, then you are the product.

Think I heard that on Slashdot.org but its so true/.

so when someone scrapes LinkedIns pages, they figure it as you stealing their product... lol go figure

same ol man vs machine.

ROFL Ive been called alot of things... but parasitical entities... theres a first...

(no offense taken, a parasite can have many benefits to the host)

Its unfortunate that gmail, facebook and other social entities scrapes and sells the same information... just like we do... and no because they own the company doesn't automatically "opt-in" a persons social profile to this type of activity...

I geuss when a large company does it... its not considered a parasite...

For one, they do not "scrape" anything, they provide a service, the invested the time and money to build what they have. As far as calling you personally a "parasite", no, thats not what i meant. If anything, WE (me included) are "parasitical" entities!  

I'm not saying anything against you personally, I'm just saying, in my opinion i believe they have every right to try and fight people who are costing them more money.  

Once you put in all the time and money it takes to create something as large as LinkedIn, let me know how you feel about people like US making you pay more money then you already have to ensure the service you built cant be used for the reason you intended. All im saying is try to look at it from their point of view is all.  

"All im saying is try to look at it from their point of view is all." I do, the trouble is getting them to see our POV... now thats nearly impossible...