UBot Underground

Running 2nd copy of Ubot

So i bought a cheapy $50 Pentium 4 box which has XP installed without a monitor. I can login and access it with Windows remote desktop and run Ubot fine. When I minimize the window, Ubot stops running in the background. When I open the window, Ubot continues from where it left off.

Should I be able to run Ubot in the background like this on an older computer with remote desktop? Short of getting a monitor switching box, what should I be doing?

Interesting. So long as the window is not minimized it runs okay correct?

I am running XP here at work and I don't have that issue. However, my cpu is not a Pentium 4.

If there is no monitor why do you need to minimize it?

If there is no monitor why do you need to minimize it?

Yea, it runs fine if I leave the window up. I just want to get the remote desktop window out of the way so I can use my "original" version of Ubot on my main computer.

I found this link on another post here:

Should I be running it under another account? When I log into my cheapy computer, I'm logging in as that admin user.

I think you are okay. Just minimize it.

I'll bet if you were to hook up a monitor that you would see the bot operating fine. What you are actually seeing is a screen refresh issue with the software doing the actual "Remote"ing. You're actually seeing a time lag in screen refreshes.

I think you are okay. Just minimize it.

I'll bet if you were to hook up a monitor that you would see the bot operating fine. What you are actually seeing is a screen refresh issue with the software doing the actual "Remote"ing. You're actually seeing a time lag in screen refreshes.

Nope. It stopped. I had set something up last night for it to run and minimized the window. Come back this morning and the counter was at #3. I then watch it take an hour to finish up what it was supposed to do.

Could the single processor have anything to do with it?

This is strange - something I just might test, but if you minize the windows - not close it or stop ts, it should keep running. That's very strange.

Also be sure you are running the latest and greatest service packages on the windows xp box.

I will say though, I'd recommend running ubot on the fastest machine with the most memory you can. It's a development platform and all dev platforms will gooble up memory and resources. It does run faster too.

Frank

Lemme "jiggle the handle" on this some more. If it's supposed to work this way, then I'm more compelled to hammer at it. I mean why doesn't everybody pick up $50 Pentium 4's and run an army of bots? Since most of my bots are waiting around for a webpage to load anyways, I image a hot rod computer won't get the data up any faster. Now, I do notice a slow down when I'm editing/creating Ubots when I've got a long string of commands to go through.

I'm primarily a Mac guy, so I bought I originally bought an older PC just to do IM stuff. The other question is it better to invest in a super fast PC and run multiple instances on it, or just keep stacking $50 PCs up?

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're a mac guy. Well that explains it.

I cannot help you anymore. Mac people are useless to me.

lol

Hang on while I fall off my High Horse.

Okay. Did you try running the bot and then disconnecting your Remote connection?

In all likelihood, it is probably the memory. Yes, you are correct about using older PCs. I have three and they all have a different bot or two doing something. However, I am using an Opensource remote software. I think it is call either TightVNC or LightVNC.

You're a mac guy. Well that explains it. I cannot help you anymore. Mac people are useless to me. Hang on while I fall off my High Horse.

C'mon, I've been making pretty pictures my whole life on my MAC computer. This is why I keep asking so many damn questions about programming. While you programmer types were drinking Jolt cola never seeing the sun, I was wearing my Steve Jobs black turtle neck sweater and getting laid. Little good that sweater does me now. :-)

Okay. Did you try running the bot and then disconnecting your Remote connection?

Yea, that was the first thing I (foolishly) tried.

In all likelihood, it is probably the memory. Yes, you are correct about using older PCs. I have three and they all have a different bot or two doing something. However, I am using an Opensource remote software. I think it is call either TightVNC or LightVNC.

Hmmm...this $50 box only has 512 Meg RAM. You might be on to something. I'll take a look at the VNC stuff and find cheap Dell RAM.

Hmmm...this $50 box only has 512 Meg RAM. You might be on to something. I'll take a look at the VNC stuff and find cheap Dell RAM.

I used to have a similar problem using teamviewer on one of my PCs. If I shut the connection down, I couldn't get reconnected but as long as I kept the connection up, things worked fine. I finally had to go into the power options in the control panel and set it to never sleep, never go to screen saver, never turn off the hard drive, never hibernate, all settings are "never". Now I don't have a problem when reconnecting to the remote computer. I know you aren't using teamviewer, but it wasn't a teamviewer issue, it was a power issue and as I say, that fixed the problem I was having. If you don't have an external monitor to connect up and watch what happens when you disconnect the remote connection, then try changing the power options and see if that helps.