UBot Underground

Why has this stopped?

I run this as a Javascript

location.reload(true);

It used to work GREAT! But today it does absolutely nothing and the current URL does not change a thing. I even added a secondary navigate control but no. It just looks like the previously opened screen.

I even opened a "in sub window" but that did not work either.

Now, what does work?

If I hit the refresh button it works like gang busters. If yuo are going to say that I need to run CCleaner then stop. That is not an option for this particular bot that I am working on. Too many production cookies to walk over in that scenario.

Any ideas? I just need to reload the current URL.

I run this as a Javascript

location.reload(true);

It used to work GREAT! But today it does absolutely nothing and the current URL does not change a thing. I even added a secondary navigate control but no. It just looks like the previously opened screen.

I even opened a "in sub window" but that did not work either.

Now, what does work?

If I hit the refresh button it works like gang busters. If yuo are going to say that I need to run CCleaner then stop. That is not an option for this particular bot that I am working on. Too many production cookies to walk over in that scenario.

Any ideas? I just need to reload the current URL.

I'm having problems with javascript in $eval with the latest version. Things just returning empty. Doing some more investigation at the moment.

Andy

Yes, I am seeing the same thing. Especially in one of my include files. Might be related to the Sub change they just did. Who knows. So much for going public today.

Having the same problem with includes. I am sending a value to be base64 encoded and I get nothing back.

A curious discovery here...

We know a web page must be loaded before we use javascript in an $eval, up until this release it could literally be any page. Now it MUST be a page that has some javascript in it.

Make a bot that navigates to http://www.blank.org/ and then evaluates something using javascript and watch the variable. It fails. Now change the same bot to navigate to google.co.uk or bing.com and then run it... it works.

I don't know if that also makes a difference to a normal javascript run as I've not tried it yet.

Andy

Andy,

That was a HUGE discovery!

I have one bot that has been driving me crazy. All my bot does is process some javascripts from an include file. I had blank.org in the browser window and nothing would happen. As soon as I switched to Bing.com it worked like a champ.

So this looks like we cannot execute javascripts within UBot UNLESS we have a website that has processed some level of javascript itself.

Even if I switch back to blank.org my code quits.

VERY odd indeed. I can't wait to see the outcome to this.

Buddy

$eval and javascripts wont execute if there aren't any javascript on the site. Since then the javascript engine wouldn't get launched by IE. This is probably the thing happening here. Should probably added in the 'alt' text though.

Sounds like that will be the final result. It some ways it is a UBot killer if javascript is used a lot in the scripting side of the house.

Buddy

Which brings up another question. What would be the MINIMAL amount of javascript code that would cause that part of IE to trigger?

Anything that uses javascript. Absolutely anything.

$eval and javascripts wont execute if there aren't any javascript on the site. Since then the javascript engine wouldn't get launched by IE. This is probably the thing happening here. Should probably added in the 'alt' text though.

Hmmmm real odd because I had a script that was running fine before the latest stable release and the page that was going to didn't have any javascript. I had to modify it so it goes to a page that does, but I am positive it was working before!

Oh well the easy fix is to make your bot go to a blank page on your own server that has something simple like this in it...

<script type="text/javascript">

document.write("Initializing...");

</script>

Andy

Hmmmm real odd because I had a script that was running fine before the latest stable release and the page that was going to didn't have any javascript. I had to modify it so it goes to a page that does, but I am positive it was working before!

Andy

I'm pretty sure that's not the case - because that is how IE works :P And have been working like that since... a long time.

I'm pretty sure that's not the case - because that is how IE works :P And have been working like that since... a long time.

OK. It is quite possible I am mistaken.

I know Seth took out the default load page for political reasons, maybe we could have this back but just have it open a blank page with some javascript in it so a page has always been loaded? Might reduce future support issues with javascript?

Andy

I hate to ask for this but if this happens why not kill two problems with one stone. Let us add our own page instead of a blank page?

Yes, have a default but let us add our own page.

please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...

Can you tell I'm grovelling?

Buddy

I hate to ask for this but if this happens why not kill two problems with one stone. Let us add our own page instead of a blank page?

Yes, have a default but let us add our own page.

please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...please...

Can you tell I'm grovelling?

Buddy

I'll grovel too if it will help!

I can't guarantee anything, sorry guys. Will discuss it with the team though

Are the team aware that it's not just javascript calls? The $eval function does not work at all unless a javascript page has been loaded so even doing something like {1}+{2} won't return anything?

Seems this should be mentioned in the documentation at least. Also seems a bit weak that the ubot script writer has to be sure that they load a page AND it has some javascript in it before they can do anything with $eval. Are ubot users all expected to know how to identify if a web page uses javascript or not?

I guess it depends on the market ubot is going for, but if it is really going for the "you don't need to be a programmer' angle that the sales page suggests then ubot needs to be as friendly to newbies as it can. This ridiculous 'you are responsible for loading a page with javascript if you want the $eval function to work' has caused even experienced ubotters to spend ages trying to debug scripts.

Even if we don't get a way of loading a page of our choice ubot should in the very least load a blank page that has a javascript call in it by default.

Andy

• Like 1

Yes, the $eval is pretty much javascript and we are aware that it is happening on that one aswell.

But I agree, it should ATLEAST be mentioned in the 'alt' text. I have no idea why Seth haven't put this valuable information there.

I will doublecheck to make sure that this problem is being solved.