UBot Underground

Is it possible to identify whether a web page has responsive design or not?

Changing the user agent isn't going to help, a responsive design will adapt to a PC browser window being shrunk or enlarged. There is no website=responsive HTML statement and there is more than one way to make a website responsive so I think the answer is "Not Easily", it could be a case of examining the css but although someone could look at the css and almost instantly determine if it were responsive or not I am not sure how easily you could do that programatically. 

In addition there are websites where being responsive doesn't work and that they have to have a mobile version, a good example of that is something like the bbc.co.uk, where there is just too much information to rely on a one size fits all approach. 

I have software (made in ubot) that does exactly this. TJ made it for me a couple years ago.

It changes user agent, looks for redirect, if detected assumed mobile responsive. (eg going from bbc.co.uk to m.bbc.co.uk).

You could also try something like this:

If you're not sure the site is responsive search the page for "Mobile" and "desktop" view. That might help determine whether it's responsive.

Finally, you could also check to see if that symbol that's so common in responsive sites is present - it's a small square usually in the top left or right of the mobile browser that has three or four vertical lines in it. If it exists it's mobile responsive (assumed).