UBot Underground

Turning off images while browsing

I'm trying something with Tumblr, I want to visit many pages, but so there so many unnecessarily large images and GIFs that are hogging all my bandwidth. Would be nice if they never even tried to load.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know for sure if when you turn off such things as images, css, flash and java can that be detected by the site being visited? i.e. does it send a signal to the website that the visit is probably a bot?

I think that when you turn them off UBot's browser doesn't send a request for image, so they could easily see that in the server logs, the question is just if they are tracking that.

Well one way they could see this is if a developer is looking at the backend usage stats and see's maybe a load of traffic from one ip to multiple pages very quickly and the load which they are giving off. They would also be able to see that images were not loaded because of the size of the transfer. Also, I know that some sites install flash cookies which can enable them to track infomation and what you navigate to.

It's good to know, I find that sometimes speed is perhaps one of the most tell telling signs that something is automated. Although turning off Java and Flash may be a user or device preference, not loading images is very much an automated process thing. Does anyone know for sure if using sockets leaves a footprint at the remote end?