UBot Underground

Add Item To List "Delete" as default. Why???

I spent half a day hunting for a bug in some code I wrote. My expected test data wasn't posted to 2 lists. I set it up to pull from 2 test CSVs and write to the lists. When I'd set up the 2nd test CSV I'd copied much of the data from the first. I couldn't see anything whatsoever wrong with my program logic...after pause-debugs and loads of alerts I could see my data elsewhere but not in the test lists.

I was 9/10 of the way to sending a bug report to Ubot support when I suddenly realized it was the "Delete" default setting on the add item to list.

Why is that set to delete by default? I can't see that I'd routinely want to delete duplicates. I'd very rarely want that. It's going to trip up a whole bunch of beginners as it did me. 

You can't blame me for forgetting that the one dimensional array structure in Ubot removes duplicate data by default. Which other programming language on the planet does that?

I see it as an unnecessary banana skin.

I hope there are no other settings that alter my data by default. 

I think that's default option because in most cases you'll need to remove duplicates (for example to loop through each unique item).

However, I guess it would be more newbie friendly if default option for that was "Don't Delete", since that way user could notice that he is getting duplicates and he can remove them if he wants.

I guess you'll remember that for ever now. :)

Some can argue both ways. At least you have the option. I like the default delete. in fact I I only use "don't delete" for debugging.

You can always stick a variable in there too.

yep, i learnt the exact same way. It would be nice to see the whole box expanded on your first use, to show the delete duplicates part, and then once you minimise it, it defaults to its current size. Anyway, can't have everything. version 5 is more than enough cheers :)