UBot Underground

(417) Expectation Failed on UBOT Startup

I'm using IE with a Squid proxy. Starting UBOT brings up the error "The remote server returned an unexpected response: (417) Expectation failed."

Steps to reproduce -

1. Configure IE to use a Squid proxy. (Last time I looked, Squid still does not support HTTP 1.1.)

2. Start UBOT

3. Error message "The remote server returned an unexpected response: (417) Expectation failed. (see attached image)

4. UBOT exits.

This is a known Microsoft issue. One way to solve that works for me is to add the code below to the (WebClient/HTTPWebRequest/etc) setup:

ServicePointManager.Expect100Continue = false;

Correction, works fine if the HTTP 1.1 proxy doesn't need authentication. If the proxy wants authentication, the startup doesn't seem to handle that.

The issue is not really a UBOT issue. It's Microsoft issue. Microsoft HTTP components by default do not play nice with HTTP1.0 proxies. There's a setting change that takes care of the issue.

For me, it becomes a UBOT issue when UBOT will not run with that type of proxy configured. If I'm being unreasonable in that expectation, then educate me. If you decide this is not a UBOT problem, that's OK. Just say so out loud. Then we have a clear statement about the environment in which UBOT doesn't work. Save the next guy a bit of time.

I understand that you get to make the rules, I have no problem with that either. I only get to decide whether they work for me - so far looks good.

rgds

Think about this.

If you are putting up a Wall to prevent UBot from seeing the internet then that is not UBot's fault.

I did a search in here for Squid and you are the only one using it. So unfortunately, I do not know of anyone that can help. Since this is not a UBot problem I am thinking about moving this thread to the "General Discussion" area.

>If you are putting up a Wall to prevent UBot

So using Internet Explorer with a proxy that requires authentication is "putting up a UBot Wall". Because, that doesn't work for me either, and that has nothing to do with Squid. Slightly different problem, but also something that stops UBot from working.

Sure, both can be worked around once the issue is known, but why should we have to? When you configure a proxy, there is always a reason for doing so. Why else would anyone go near IE?

>I am thinking about moving this thread to the "General Discussion" area.

Your perogative, you're the moderator. If you say it's not a bug, then clearly it's not a bug. (-1)

Cheers.

Work around for this proxy issue.

The UBOT validation fails at start up with certain proxies. If you have this issue and need to work with that proxy, then you'll have to disable that proxy in Internet Explorer Options before you start up UBOT. Then start UBOT and let it complete its validation. Once you have the main form displayed, you've been validated and you can re enable the proxy. The main webbrowser in UBOT seems to work fine with these problem proxies. Looks like it's just the initial validation process that doesn't have the bug.

Not sure how often UBOT is going to validate during a session, if it does do this again, then you'll probably lose some work.

Think about this.

If you are putting up a Wall to prevent UBot from seeing the internet then that is not UBot's fault.

I did a search in here for Squid and you are the only one using it. So unfortunately, I do not know of anyone that can help. Since this is not a UBot problem I am thinking about moving this thread to the "General Discussion" area.

I get this. Thanks much for the explanation. I know I'm a little dumb so I need to get all the things that would help me with ubot.