UBot Underground

Evaluation Questions for UBot

Ok. My partner and I are evaluating UBot. So far, I like what I see but we do have several questions and concerns.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum so if it is not, please move it :)

Anyhow, on to my questions/concerns:

1. The biggest downside that we've seeen so far is the "Powered By" link. Now, I don't have a problem with that if I had a trial version of the software or something but when I have paid for it I don't think it should be there.

The problem with it being there is this could be a great way for me to create some bots and then sell them. Since it's pretty easy to create the bots, I could crank quite a few out.

However, if I do that and the link is there, then it won't be long before the cloners come along and do it for less.

I would be willing to pay - say - $100 extra to have that link removed.

2. It's not entirely intuitive what the user will need to do when running the bot.

For instance, if the user has run the bot, the first thing they'll see is the action box and a play button. If there's only one action, it should just start running imo (or at least give us an option to do so).

3. Speaking of intuitiveness, is there any way to attach a help file to this software?

4. Icon file - is there a way to specify the icon to be used for the bot? WHat about the windows resource fork information? Version, company, etc.

5. If I want to save my file to a list and I use the save to file command, it puts a hardcoded path in there. Is there a way to specify a relative path?

6. Is there a way to prompt the user for a save location like we can with the open file command?

7. When the bot is running, it's not entirely clear to the user if it is still running or finished its task.

8. Startup seems to be a bit slow. I'm pretty certain it's not my machine (quad core mac pro with 12 GB of memory).

I look forward to your answers :)

G-Man

1. This has been discussed in depth here and we will eventually have this option in the enterprise version. Right now it is NOT an option and we can't make an interim solution due a lot of business and legal considerations.

There have been strong passions involved in the discussions of this topic in the past. So, in order to make sure that this thread doesn't turn into like what other ones turned into, I'd request no further discussion of this policy. We certainly know there is demand and we will have some solution.

3. We have a wiki at UBotWiki.com and have a new FAQ system coming up.

For the rest of the things, I will have someone from the technical team respond.

With regards to #3 - I meant a help file that could be loaded by the bot if the user wanted help. Not a help file with the software itself :) Sorry for not being clearer :)

And with regards to the wiki...it needs work :)

Thanks Lord Brar!

G-Man

I had that same question/problem when I first started making bots that were meant for others to use. I've attached a solution for you.

Hehe - that's an interesting hack. Make sure the file is where you want it to be then use the file open dialog...

Of course, that still doesn't allow them to select where they would like it to be saved and the filename right?

G-Man

Hehe - that's an interesting hack. Make sure the file is where you want it to be then use the file open dialog...

Of course, that still doesn't allow them to select where they would like it to be saved and the filename right?

G-Man

Sure it does. Try it yourself. Simply create a blank .TXT file anywhere on your computer...anywhere you want. Then, name it whatever you want.

Then select that file.

Then run the bot. You'll find that blank .TXT file will have the word "test" saved to it.

• 7 months later...

1. This has been discussed in depth here and we will eventually have this option in the enterprise version. Right now it is NOT an option and we can't make an interim solution due a lot of business and legal considerations.

There have been strong passions involved in the discussions of this topic in the past. So, in order to make sure that this thread doesn't turn into like what other ones turned into, I'd request no further discussion of this policy. We certainly know there is demand and we will have some solution.

3. We have a wiki at UBotWiki.com and have a new FAQ system coming up.

For the rest of the things, I will have someone from the technical team respond.

Bump!

Please finally answer when we get the solution to remove the "Powered by You and Ubot" in each bot.