UBot Underground

Subs Behavoir Does Not Match Tutorials

Hi all -

Thanks in advance for any help here - I appreciate that all of you are dedicated uBot users.

I am new, and through reading some of the threads here on the forum - I must agree with the poster who had stated that the documentation was lacking. I echo that thought.

This is not to say that uBot doesn't rock. It does. This is not to say that all of you have not paid your dues. You have.

But the POINT is that if you are selling a software - or any product - it is incumbent on the developer to have clear, concise documentation on the FUNCTIONALITY of the software.

Seth - KUDOS on a fabulouspo piece of software.

But here's the problem.

I have signed up, watched endless tutorials, visited YouTube - and watched the "wing hing"" off the cuff style of screen cap videos that do not follow a "lesson plan" so to speak.

MY PROBLEM:

I am trying to figure out something so VERY BASIC - how to hit the INSERT KEY to ADD SUB as per numerous tutorials.

HOURS LATER - I'm still stuck.

And ya know what, Seth?? I can't find it anywhere in your documentation. NADA.

I've seen definitions - but not HOW TO DO IT WITH YOUR LATEST VERSION.

And guess what else? The Knowledge Base inside your Help System is NON EXISTENT.

I don't want a refund.

I want an answer. I want real documentation.

And to be fair to anyone else buying what I think is a very cool piece of software - this should be part of your DNA Documentation.

I've watch tutorials from Lisa, Seth, Aaron Numrocks, uBotJunkie, etc, etc, etc.

Guess what??? Trying to "add subs" by hitting INSERT - It doesn;'t work. These tutorials - all done i n good faith - are OUT OF DATE.

Seth- I don't think you intend to make this a painful experience for your new customers.

But I have spent hours trying to figure this out. I bought your software because the promo said NO PROGRAMMING EXPERIENCE.

Cool. I want to figure it out.

But these tutorials are MONTHS out of date from your latest version - (not counting the BETA).

So if someone here can help - great.

Seth - help me - I need to figure this out asap.

Thanks very much.

Barbara

Hi all -

Thanks in advance for any help here - I appreciate that all of you are dedicated uBot users.

I am new, and through reading some of the threads here on the forum - I must agree with the poster who had stated that the documentation was lacking. I echo that thought.

This is not to say that uBot doesn't rock. It does. This is not to say that all of you have not paid your dues. You have.

But the POINT is that if you are selling a software - or any product - it is incumbent on the developer to have clear, concise documentation on the FUNCTIONALITY of the software.

Seth - KUDOS on a fabulouspo piece of software.

But here's the problem.

I have signed up, watched endless tutorials, visited YouTube - and watched the "wing hing"" off the cuff style of screen cap videos that do not follow a "lesson plan" so to speak.

MY PROBLEM:

I am trying to figure out something so VERY BASIC - how to hit the INSERT KEY to ADD SUB as per numerous tutorials.

HOURS LATER - I'm still stuck.

And ya know what, Seth?? I can't find it anywhere in your documentation. NADA.

I've seen definitions - but not HOW TO DO IT WITH YOUR LATEST VERSION.

And guess what else? The Knowledge Base inside your Help System is NON EXISTENT.

I don't want a refund.

I want an answer. I want real documentation.

And to be fair to anyone else buying what I think is a very cool piece of software - this should be part of your DNA Documentation.

I've watch tutorials from Lisa, Seth, Aaron Numrocks, uBotJunkie, etc, etc, etc.

Guess what??? Trying to "add subs" by hitting INSERT - It doesn;'t work. These tutorials - all done i n good faith - are OUT OF DATE.

Seth- I don't think you intend to make this a painful experience for your new customers.

But I have spent hours trying to figure this out. I bought your software because the promo said NO PROGRAMMING EXPERIENCE.

Cool. I want to figure it out.

But these tutorials are MONTHS out of date from your latest version - (not counting the BETA).

So if someone here can help - great.

Seth - help me - I need to figure this out asap.

Thanks very much.

Barbara

The Subs tutorial on this page(Tutorial 14): http://ubotstudio.com/tutorials.aspx

is not out of date. Refer to that tutorial and let us know which specific problems you encounter and I will help you.

We keep up to date tutorials up at http://ubotstudio.com/tutorials.aspx and we keep an up to date command reference at http://ubotstudio.com/scriptreference.aspx. We can't speak for documentation you find anywhere else.

The subs should behave in exactly the same way that they are demonstrated on the tutorials page.

Bhaynet - you tellin' me you didn't try DRAGGING the blue circle labeled "SUB" the 3 inches into the brown box? How many tutorials do you have to watch to figure that out? EVERYTHING can be dragged from the toolbox menu in the new version. I've certainly asked a bunch of dumb, obvious questions in this forum that only required a simple answer, but c'mon - I'm not hammering on the documentation.

I kind of like the fact that you can't be moron to use Ubot. If Seth made Ubot completely idiot proof then we're all doomed. Look what happened to mp3 trading after Napster came out. I don't think it's gonna happen with Ubot though - there's just too many variables to the Internet. The hard part is not learning the techniques of programming Ubot, but all the exceptions to the rule.

Bhaynet - you tellin' me you didn't try DRAGGING the blue circle labeled "SUB" the 3 inches into the brown box? How many tutorials do you have to watch to figure that out? EVERYTHING can be dragged from the toolbox menu in the new version. I've certainly asked a bunch of dumb, obvious questions in this forum that only required a simple answer, but c'mon - I'm not hammering on the documentation.

I kind of like the fact that you can't be moron to use Ubot. If Seth made Ubot completely idiot proof then we're all doomed. Look what happened to mp3 trading after Napster came out. I don't think it's gonna happen with Ubot though - there's just too many variables to the Internet. The hard part is not learning the techniques of programming Ubot, but all the exceptions to the rule.

Thanks for your replies.

Nope - can't say that I'm that much of a MORON ;-) OF COURSE I dragged the sub - or any other command for that matter - into the the flow (is that what the left column is called?)

What I am saying is that the behavior of my copy of uBot does not seem to match what I see in the tutorials.

SPECIFICALLY when it comes to "Subs'.

What I see in the video tutorials ( whether it's Seth's official or not" is the advice to "Insert 5 lines" at a time to reduce the constant one by one dragging of subs into the column.

What I see on the tutorial VIDEOS is that under the FLOW command there is a sub command that says INSERT 5 LINES.

http://www.ubottutorials.com/scrape-scraping-website.html

This functionality seems to be MISSING from the version of uBot I am using.

When I RIGHT CLiCK to bring up the commands - there is NO "Insert" or "Insert 5 Lines".

Has this function gone away? If not - how do I access it?

Thanks in advance,

Barbara

Did this go away? Is it somewhere else?

- just trying to learn uBot.

Thanks for your replies.

Nope - can't say that I'm that much of a MORON ;-) OF COURSE I dragged the sub - or any other command for that matter - into the the flow (is that what the left column is called?)

What I am saying is that the behavior of my copy of uBot does not seem to match what I see in the tutorials.

SPECIFICALLY when it comes to "Subs'.

What I see in the video tutorials ( whether it's Seth's official or not" is the advice to "Insert 5 lines" at a time to reduce the constant one by one dragging of subs into the column.

What I see on the tutorial VIDEOS is that under the FLOW command there is a sub command that says INSERT 5 LINES.

http://www.ubottutorials.com/scrape-scraping-website.html

This functionality seems to be MISSING from the version of uBot I am using.

When I RIGHT CLiCK to bring up the commands - there is NO "Insert" or "Insert 5 Lines".

Has this function gone away? If not - how do I access it?

Thanks in advance,

Barbara

Did this go away? Is it somewhere else?

- just trying to learn uBot.

The function you are talking about is old. UBot has changed drastically since those tutorials. Again, go to ubotstudio.com/tutorials.aspx to catch up if you are confused.

The function you are talking about is old. UBot has changed drastically since those tutorials. Again, go to ubotstudio.com/tutorials.aspx to catch up if you are confused.

Ahh - Thank you, Lilly.

Yes - that exactly what I thought - that functionality IS out of date.

Is this because INSERT 5 lines was replaced by the drop & drag?

Here's where my confusion came in:

1. I have watched most of them - and specifically the SUBS - which did not mention that functionality at all

2. The SUBS tutorial also didn't drop any hints that there had been upgrades to older functionality

3. The forum STICKY suggested I watch other VIMEO tutorials - and I did!

EXAMPLE: Aaron's video had a very specific example of what I am trying to do =

With all due respect to the uBot tutorials, the SUBS tutorial was extremely basic - and none I think show an in-depth example.

( BTW - I bought uBot from Aaron's affiliate link/WSO - and had been toying with the idea of uBot since last December)

Aaron's Vimeo Video showed a very specific example of scraping product data & content which is what I am trying to accomplish:

http://www.ubottutorials.com/navigating-site-scraping-product-data.html

This example showed scraping data from a site with multiple categories, and then going back and scraping the data from tons of products from within those categories.

his video - as well as others with more in-depth tutorials - specifically showed the INSERT 5 lines command - which is where I got stuck - and went searching for an answer here on uBot with no success.

Now I need to go back to Aaron's video & re-watch to see how to accomplish this.

Are there other official uBot videos which have similar IN DEPTH tutorials?

Thanks for jumping in.

Barbara

Barbara,

Is this because INSERT 5 lines was replaced by the drop & drag?

The insert 5 lines is not required any more (I believe they were only placeholders for new nodes, in earlier versions of Ubot Studio).

There are several ways to add commands, including:

- Drag and drop

- Via the command window, by RMC > Add to Script

If you want to know specifics, then search through the tutorials, and the forum, then if no joy, post here under Ubot Support or Scripting.

I suggest you learn how to create basic bots, before moving onto complex ones.

We provide the basics first, as in wrapping your head around what nodes are, what commands are, what constants are and what they will do for you. Once you get the basics, you will be able to understand and plan what you want to do from there.

You can refer to Aaron's tutorials for directions on how to create SPECIFIC bots (like a scraping bot), but our tutorials are mostly focused on the basics and the foundation of UBot. Before you jump into trying to scrape, you need to know what, for example, what the $scrape chosen attribute function is. It will all come together from there.

By the way, which sticky are you referring to?

Because if it's this one: http://ubotstudio.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4801-helpful-resources-for-learning-ubot-studio/

You would have been able to figure out that the insert lines function is now long gone.

We have referred you to the appropriate website where OUR tutorials are located. Again, if you have any specific questions about any other functions, let me know what they are and I will help you with it.

Hey buddy

I hear where your coming from, and immediately i understood that it was indeed an old tutorial that you seen.

Im probably AND OFFICIALLY THE WORST CRITIC in this forum, simply because i jumped on the refund wagon straight away when things didn't go as planned, i know you stated you didn't want a refund so my comment may seem irrelevant, but i believe, and this is just my personal opinion, that the tutorials are simply a guide.

I watched them all about 3 times, and although i created a few bots that i wanted, i didn't actually UNDERSTAND what and why i was doing what i was doing.

Its only now that i fully grasp the capabilites of this software, and its came through endless nights of trial and error, the things i have been stuck on, nearly all the time are to do with flow, goddam that flow lol. Im thick as hell, and i love it when i get to automate something that others spend ages trying to achieve.

I know that in a couple of weeks or months, i going to be coming to you for advice, so keep with it, cos i'll need your help lol.

Peace