UBot Underground

$replace multiple strings on a single list item?

Say I want to remove all punctuation from a string. I need to drop '!?.!@#$%^, etc. I'm trying to drop them by doing something like so...

set

#variable1

$replace

-> $next list item

-> .

-> $nothing

set

#variable2

-> #variable1

-> ,

-> $nothing

set

#variable3

-> #variable2

-> ?

-> $nothing

and so on...

Doesn't seem to be working for me though. In my current application I am looking to remove spaces and quotations.

How do I go about replacing multiple strings within a list item? Drawing blanks here...

Maybe I'm just not seeing it, but I fail to see where the replacement is happening there at all.

What I have is a list, that I want to remove certain parts from. Another good example would be something like an html snippet that you want to remove all italics and bold font styles from.

<p>

The dog walked <strong>across</strong> the road

</p>

<p>The cat ran <em>away from</em> the dog.

</p>

So I'd have to replace <strong>, </strong>, <em>, & </em> all with a $nothing variable.

Now i can easily take one of those strings of text out, but it's the next one where I have problems. At least moving from removing all spaces, on to removing all ' & " I'm having difficulties. I can get the spaces all out, but then getting rid of the quotations and other invalid characters does not work.

I am stripping down keyphrases for input into a form. occasionally the phrases contain an invalid character, I need to strip all of these invalid characters down.

The snippet posted seems to remove entire lines from the list. I need to remove characters (or entire strings in the case of the HTML example) from each item.