UBot Underground

Computer Meltdown With Windows 10

Been smelling something 'electronic' burning for the last few days and thought that it was just the new TV that I put in my room making the smell.  

I was 'sure' that it wasn't my computer!  

Well it was, my graphics card was full of dust which caused the fan to die, which caused the system to overheat and shutdown, which corrupted a file in Windows.  While plugging my hard disk into another machine to format it, the little 'L' piece that the SATA cable connects to on the drive snapped off, grrrrr!

So now I'm expecting a new hard disk and graphics card tomorrow.  By the only stroke of luck that I had yesterday, I had just saved my bots to the SSD drive that I use as a second drive so thankfully I didn't lose those.

I'm going to install Ubot on the SSD once I get the new drive tomorrow and get a new copy of Windows installed and upgraded to Windows 10.  Curious to see how much faster it will run.  I don't have too many parts to go before I have a brand new pieced together CPU, new motherboard, and processor I'd have a new machine.

What a day...

Peace,

Learjet

Hopefully your new drive will be a ssd as well. Cant stand those spinning cds. I wasnt impressed with win 10. I would suggest making a backup of win 7 before upgrading, the upgrade leaves a ton of garbage if you decide to downgrade.

cheers. :)

• Like 1

One tip to possibly save your Ubot life one day: create a Ubot folder in some cloud backup service like Dropbox and save all of your .ubot files there. That way if you lose a drive it's already auto backed up and you don't have to worry about losing everything.

• Like 1

Thanks for your tips!  I'm going to setup OneDrive as soon as I get it running, got my parts this afternoon and I'm working on getting everything setup.

1) New Western Digital Blue Drive 1TB (got it for 45% off ($54) I'm sure it will be more reliable than the cheap Hitachi that I had)

2) Cheap graphics card to run multiple monitors ($69)

Researched the best low budget graphics cards on Tom's Hardware ended up with a GeForce GT 730.

Thanks for all your wisdom, I really appreciate it!

Peace,

EJ