UBot Underground

Ubot Browser Detection. CL related.

My company posts to CL automotive sections using ubot bots.

As of recently(past two months) our success rate has plumetted from 75-80%, down to 11-14%.  We have determined it is not a proxy or post content issue.  When we manual post through firefox, using the same proxies, same content, and even posting faster than our bots do, we achieve 95% or so.

The only conclusion to come to is that C raigs L ist is able to determine something wrong with our browser.Here is our startupSteps command that gets ran at the beginning of each post.

define StartupSteps {
    set(#botstatus, "Starting Up", "Global")
    set user agent("Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:13.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/13.0.1")
    set browser property("navigator.appCodeName", "Mozilla")
    set browser property("navigator.appName", "Netscape")
    set browser property("navigator.appVersion", "5.0 (Windows)")
    set browser property("navigator.cookieEnabled", "true")
    set browser property("navigator.onLine", "true")
    set browser property("navigator.platform", "Win32")
    set browser property("screen.availHeight", 860)
    set browser property("screen.availWidth", 1600)
    set browser property("screen.colorDepth", 24)
    allow javascript("Yes")
    clear cookies
    set(#username, "", "Global")
    set(#row, 0, "Global")
}

Is there something wrong with the above, or does anyone know something specifically that Makes Ubot posting vastly different than a full-fledged browser posting?

Edited by robchroma

Yes, most of the above was added when it started not to work. 

One think I have noticed that may be tripping it up is that it seems once you set referrer, it is permanently set until you change it again, is there anyway to make it change referrer as it goes?

try that, it might help you out

I'm using also a HUGE list of user agents and refferers in spin commands, or in regular ad list to list command. I wanted to post it, but it seams impossible to post bots or zip file here....

clear list(%browsers)
set(#browsers, "Internet Explorer 6
Internet Explorer 7
Internet Explorer 8
Internet Explorer 9
Internet Explorer 10
Chrome
Safari
Firefox 4
Firefox 5
Firefox 6", "Global")
add list to list(%browsers, $list from text(#browsers, $new line), "Delete", "Global")
set list position(%browsers, $list position(%browsers))
loop(20) {
    set user agent($random list item(%browsers))
    navigate("http://www.whatismybrowser.com/", "Wait")
    wait(1)
}

Were those just examples?  I am pretty sure those are not the proper long-form user agents browsers normally send.

The issue persists.

Looks like I'm going to have to delve into javascript and make a firefox extension to post the ads. Unless there was a change to the browser behavior the past two months that can be reverted, it appears that at least some websites can detect ubot activity as abnormal.

Update for anyone interested.

If you want to post to craigslist: Disable javascript.

Cl has implemented some intensive javascript/ajax scripting that if allowed, gives them a very detailed profile of your window size, document size, screen size, and a slough of browser information.  This information is added as a hidden input as you click the submit button on the Posting details form.

• 1 month later...

So is it that only the javascript setting matters, or do you still need those set browser property commands at the beginning of this post? And also by saying turn off javascript, did you mean doing the following?

allow javascript("No")

I use Chrome or nothing as the user agent and my ads get posted every time. How many ads are you posting per day? C L just recently changed their post form layout and attributes. Not sure if that could be a reason, but I had to update my bots to get my ads to post again.