UBot Underground

Add to list via UI box

I'm trying to add a UI box so I can easily load a text file into a list. I know I can load to a list via "add to list" then $list from file, but I can't swap text files via a UI box.

This works for loading a file via the UI and creating a table with it:

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/2720/createtableui.png

But when I do the same flow for a list, it doesn't work:

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/6539/createfiileui.png

What the heck am I doing wrong? Is the #imported variable screwing me up? Ya know..it's these little things that are tripping me up. I didn't see an example of this in any of the tutorial videos.

You should have a $list from file in there, using the variable. The add to list command should have a $list from file in the content area. And then in the parameter window for $list from file, you would add the variable for your UI open file.

don't forget a clear list at the top of the script.

Thanks Lily! It worked! OK, now I gotta bitch about Seths logic. Here is the differences between the two:

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/5305/tablelistuibox.png

They both start out exactly the same. "UI open file" and you dump it into a variable. There's a nice "create table from file" command, but why no "create list from file" command? You've got to "add to list", then do a "$list from file" THEN insert your variable.

Someone should make a whole wiki of these short little command sequences. I haven't even started playing with all the qualifiers. Not sure how one would string them together. How about a video tutorial on that?

I agree Biks. I have used $List from file successfully since I first started here, but at this point have never even tried the new table commands. Why? Because I haven't the faintest idea on what to use them for. Does it simplify something we were doing previously? How can we replace old commands with this one?

I have a lot of questions regarding tables, but have just been waiting for the issues to come up in the forum so I could follow along. Unfortunately I have watched the video several times, but am still at a bit of a loss there. Until I can get a stronger grasp on tables and their uses I will probably just steer clear for now.

I think my biggest problem is when I think of tables, I think of html coding.

Well tables are great for things like bookmarking. You want to group things together like TITLE, URL, DESCRIPTION, TAGS on one line in a table. Let's say you've got 100 URLs with different descriptions, tags etc. you want to bookmark on a particular site. The only thing that changes is the row # variable as your Ubot cycles through everything.

Not even sure how you would do that with lists. Every element has it's own list? How you would look at everything at once? With a .csv file it's easy.