UBot Underground

Throw it on the table...

Hey all!

I'm wondering if any of you have worked with creating a bot that would initially use an email autoresponder service like aweber to 'register' the bot. I have a client that wants to collect emails for a free bot and needs some mechanism to not have the bot run until they offer up an email address that is confirmed.

Can't seem to get the juices running on this one, so I'm alllllll ears.

Thanks!

Frank

Only way I think to do it is bring them to the email sign up form.

They sign up.

You direct them to go to their email and get the verification link.

They copy and paste in UBot.

It goes to that page and you verify some text on the screen.

The end

EASY with some creativity!

First of all, host the script itself on a URL, so you can change the following info if you suspect scammers.

Set a variable, to some sort of password. Say, password is mydemobot123

So, set that variable password in your script.

Give the users a UI element to enter the bot password.

Create a sub: If variable (password) = mydemobot123 THEN continue script ELSE 'stop script'.

Now, set up the autoresponder so that the confirmation URL is set to a page that displays whatever password you set. So you could set up a little sales page template like page saying, your demo bot password is "mydemobot123", you must enter this password to use this demo software.

Now, if you suspect people hijacking this, simply change the password variable to a new password via the script hosted on the URL, and change the password displayed on the confirmation page and send an email out to opt-in users telling them that there's a new password.

You can also switch up the URL of your opt-in page as well so people can't just guess it and join via the opt-in form.

That should work ok.

They'll have to enter the password into the UI field every time they run the bot, but hey, it's a demo bot right?

You could also have the bot create a license.txt file on their computer or something to containing the password, and you could have the program call up that file to see if it matches the password variable you set, if it doesn't then stop script.

None of this is really secure. I know that there is a great protect script in the buy section for locking stuff down.

Here is another way you could do it I was thinking about.

Host the bot as usual.

Have the user sent to a page where they are shown a randomly generated password. This password is then written to another text file.

When the user registers their bot, the application will just check to see that the random password is present in the list and if so let the user continue.

I use Interspire Email Marketer because it has an API. I had someone on odesk create me a facade so I can do really simple code like CheckUserExists(email,list).

With this logic inplace it would be simple to setup the bot so it must have an email address added to a list and then only works if my online script checks they are on the list and returns true.

To make it truly secure you would have to add some extra code to detect multiple logons and ip addresses but it shouldnt be too difficult.

I am not familiar with aweber but I think they do have an API of sorts so you might be able to setup the same thing.