UBot Underground

Large Download When Installing Your Own Bot

Can anyone explain if the huge download that happens (prerequisites) when you install your bot on a pc is

A: necessary ?

B: If not how do you stop it ?

Great questions! I've wondered the same thing.

- - -

TL;DR: As far as I've been able to determine, compiled stand-alone applications created with UBot Studio need access to the contents of the huge download you mention in your question. The huge download doesn't necessarily have to occur if the data contained in the download is already present on the system where the compiled stand-alone application created with UBot Studio is being launched.

- - - 

Just to be sure we're talking about the same phenomenon, I think what you're describing is a scenario wherein:

- a compiled stand-alone application that was created with UBot Studio,

- is launched on a machine powered by the Windows operating system that,

( a ) does not have the UBot Studio development environment already installed on it, and that

( b ) has not previously had any compiled stand-alone applications that were created with UBot Studio launched on it before.

NOTE: One important caveat to this seems to exist if you launch a compiled stand-alone application that was created with a different version of UBot Studio than the one that's currently installed on the system OR if compiled stand-alone applications have been launched on the system that were created with a different version of UBot Studio. In those scenarios, support files are also downloaded.

So, let's say you launch the compiled stand-alone application on a system that doesn't have the necessary support files.

You see this in a pop-up notification window:

ubotstudio-downloadingsupportfiles.png

For example, if someone is still using UBot Studio v5.9.55, any compiled stand-alone applications that get created will check the following Windows operating system directory to determine if the necessary support files are present:

C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\

(Replace [uSERNAME] with the actual username on the system where the application is being launched.)

This is where we can really get lost in a lot of details, but for the sake of relative brevity (even at the risk of not being entirely thorough), the specific folder that will be searched for, assuming the compiled stand-alone application was created with UBot Studio v5.9.55, will be called "UBot Studio\5.9.55" and it will contain a minimum of 86.1 megabytes of data. (By way of comparison, compiled stand-alone applications created using UBot Studio v6.1.8 will require a minimum of approximately 131 megabytes of data in a folder named "UBot Studio\6.1.8" that will also be located inside the aforementioned folder tree.)

If the necessary support files aren't found, then a file named 5.9.55.zip will be download and extracted in the case of UBot Studio v5.9.55 compiled stand-alone applications, and in the case of UBot Studio v6.1.8, a file named 6.1.8.zip is downloaded and extracted.

The aforementioned ZIP files are extracted into folders that are similarly named, as follows:

C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\UBot Studio\Browser\5.9.55\
C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\UBot Studio\Browser\6.1.8\

More stuff gets download to the UBot Studio folder itself which is somewhat beyond the scope of this reply. In addition, something else to notice is that a folder named "Bionize" is also created inside "C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\" (outside the UBot Studio folder) and it appears to contain the Python Standard Library. (The best way to see this and experience it yourself is to dive into the "C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\" folder on your system and familiarize yourself with what's in there as it relates to UBot Studio.)

You mention in a subsequent post that, "I have bought applications made in ubot that are 20 - 30 meg that have no pre downloads."

My guess is that one of the following conditions may have existed:

1) You already had the necessary support files located on your system in the folders I mentioned above, so when the compiled stand-alone application launched, it didn't need to download the support files because it found them during the launch process.

2) The stand-alone compiled applications that you purchased that were 30 to 50 megabytes in size could have conceivably been packaged with an installation program that automatically installed the necessary support files in the folders I mentioned so that when the UBot Studio compiled stand-alone application launched, it didn't need to download the support files because it found them on the system.

Circling back to the original question, you ask: "Can anyone explain if the huge download that happens (prerequisites) when you install your bot on a pc is ( A ) necessary and ( B ) if not how do you stop it?"

As far as I've been able to determine, compiled stand-alone applications need the support files. 

# # #

Here's some extra information that I've assembled by way of testing different scenarios:

1) What happens if there is an Internet outage affecting the machine that's attempting to launch the stand-alone compiled application?

In that case, whether the compiled stand-alone application launches depends on whether the support files already exist on the system. If the support files cannot be found by the compiled stand-alone application, it will momentarily attempt to download the files. But upon detecting that no Internet connection exists, the "Downloading Support Files" window pictured above will close. However, if you open the Task Manager on the Windows powered system where the compiled stand-alone application is being launched, you'll see that the application itself is still listed as running and upon closer inspection is in a perpetual "Loading..." state. It then just hangs there. Even once Internet connectivity is restored, none of my testing reveals a scenario in which the "Downloading Support Files" window re-opens and the process commences again.

2) What happens if there is an Internet outage mid-download that affects the machine that's attempting to launch the stand-alone compiled application?

If the Internet outage affecting the machine that's attempting to launch the stand-alone compiled application occurs once the support files have already started being downloaded, the "Downloading Support Files" window remains open with the green progress bar remaining stuck in place. I've tested allowing the Internet outage to continue for upwards of 15 minutes. Once Internet access is restored, the download did not resume and the green progress bar remained stuck in place. The compiled stand-alone application remains in the Task Manager in a perpetual "Loading..." state.

3) What happens if the server from which the necessary support files are downloaded is offline or inaccessible? 

You'll see the "Downloading Support Files" window pop up, then vanish for about half a second, then re-emerge. After about another second, once it's clear that the server from which the support files will be downloaded is unavailable, the "Downloading Support Files" window vanishes permanently. The compiled stand-alone application remains in the Task Manager in a perpetual "Loading..." state.

# # #

I know this kinda turned into a fairly tedious and lengthy reply, so I added a TL;DR (too long; didn't read) to the top of the reply. Hopefully there aren't too many obvious typos or nonsensical gibberish that slipped into my response. [Quick edit made to see if I could prevent the forum software from turning the letter B tucked between parenthesis into an emoji.]
Edited by stephenzeiner
  • Like 1

Dear lord ! if every answer was as complete as this I would be a lot wiser person.

Thanks you for the answers

I take it the answer is no, in respect to the questions A:B ?

I take it the answer is no, in respect to the questions A:B ?

Haha yeah, so in summary:

A - Yes, the huge download *is* necessary *if* the support files aren't already on the computer at the time the UBot Studio compiled stand-alone application is launched.

B - The huge download can be avoided entirely only if the support files already exist on the system or are pre-installed by an application "installer" prior to the UBot Studio compiled stand-alone application being launched.

Hopefully this makes sense.

If the Internet outage affecting the machine that's attempting to launch the stand-alone compiled application occurs once the support files have already started being downloaded, the "Downloading Support Files" window remains open with the green progress bar remaining stuck in place. I've tested allowing the Internet outage to continue for upwards of 15 minutes. Once Internet access is restored, the download did not resume and the green progress bar remained stuck in place. The compiled stand-alone application remains in the Task Manager in a perpetual "Loading..." state.

so in case like this we need to delete it from the appdata folder and then reinstall it again?

• 3 weeks later...

so in case like this we need to delete it from the appdata folder and then reinstall it again?

I don't have my notes immediately available as I type this, but as I recall, here's what happens:

1) The support files, not being found, trigger the downloading of a ZIP file containing the relevant support files

2) If the Internet connection is cut off, the ZIP file is not successfully downloaded

3) You'll potentially need to 'end/kill' the compiled stand-alone application that remains in the Task Manager in a perpetual 'Loading...' state. 

4) Upon re-starting the compiled stand-alone application, the process beings again and the ZIP file containing the support files starts downloading

5) The compiled stand-alone application successfully unzips the ZIP file containing the support files and the support files become available to the compiled stand-alone application

There are a few other things that appear to happen along the way, but in a nutshell, that's what I recall observing.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Very good reply, very helpful.

I am having a problem that may or may not be connected. I have tried to use the compile installer option available in the developer edition but have never got it to work. I was fairly amazed to see that that file is about 130 megs when the exe file is only 15 meg. So now after reading this  I assume that it is downloading the 100 meg + of files that you mention here.  What I did not appreciate is that if I send the non-installer exe file to a client, the first time he runs it, it will be nothing like the experience I have when I run it. Glad I know that, so I can tell him to expect it.

At least the compiler installer will respond more as expected....but I cannot get it to work. It  takes about 20 mins to compile and it opens up a cmd window. But when it is run, it says it cannot find a gazillion files it needs. 

Now knowing what I do, thanks to you, I really want to fix this. The first odd thing is that when I run the installer, it is files in the Ubot directory it cannot find.  See image. Why on earth is it looking for these files there at all, it has after all just downloaded 100 meg of files!! The client will not have Ubot installed. 

EDIT 10 mins later....hard to believe, but I needed to close Ubot studio in order to install a ubot bot complied with Ubot Studio as an installer. Now I really have no idea what the client without Ubot Studio installed is going to experience. Any ideas? Why does it not find the files it needs in its own 100 meg of files? 

Edited by charliefinale