UBot Underground

High performance laptop for Ubot work

I always heard that ubot need more RAM to run smooth, but does proessor matter?

i have a core 2 dua E8400 with 8GB RAM and a macbook Pro i5 2415M also with 8GB RAM (run windows with bootcamp)

after comparing both running ubot, i found that the macbook i5 is slower than my core 2 dual, am i missing something? shouldn't an i5 work faster then core 2 dual?

may be the xth generation of intel processor make the different? a 3th generation is slower than 4th generation?

i would like to buy an i7 laptop later for maximum performance, is it really worth buying?

Although a laptop is fine for developing Ubots when they are run in a production environment the majority of Ubots that I develop are better suited to being run on a server.

I use a VM server that allows me to allocate specific machines to specific tasks.

In my experience if you are into any type of development the fastest processor and the most memory you can afford is the way to go.

In my book they haven't yet developed a processor that I would have said is quick enough.    

hi, when you say bot running on server, do you mean the .exe run on windows envioranment or code ubot job to able to use by multi user on a vps? 

i think ubot itself is heavy and not optimize, therefore even we get the highest spec machine, the development workflow is still not very smooth.

may be i will get a latest i7 and see if it help improve productivity.

Also, something to keep in mind is how you are running UBot on the macbook. Are you using a program like wine? Or do you actually have windows OS on the macbook? If you have windows on the macbook how much space are you allowing it to use, as this could make a major difference.

Here's from the FAQ page. 

To run UBot Studio, you need Windows (XP, Vista or Windows 7), 1 GB of Ram, 5 MB of disk space, Internet Explorer 7 or above and the .NET Framework 3.5.

I'd say, 4GB RAM is already an overkill if you have only uBot proccess running, nothing else opened. smile2.png

Also, something to keep in mind is how you are running UBot on the macbook. Are you using a program like wine? Or do you actually have windows OS on the macbook? If you have windows on the macbook how much space are you allowing it to use, as this could make a major difference.

I run windows on mac with bootcamp, what do you mean by allowing space? i have 28GB empty space for the windows partition.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to grave-dig here, but I have major issues running UBot 5.9.17 with bootcamp.  I have a macbook with 2.90Ghz i7 processor and 8GB RAM.  I shouldn't be having these issues, I don't think.

I have been trying to track down an answer as to what is causing performance issues and I'm guessing it's because of bootcamp at this point.

I running UBot 5.9.17 with 16 GB of ram, Windows 8, Ubot studio keep freezing.. if your program is large, it will freeze even more. This is a serious problem that need to be fixed quick. Actually a bot that can be completed in 20 mins now take me 50 mins. 

• Like 1

I imagine that this is where the define commands comes in very useful to cut down on the memory being used by your machine. At least that is what I gathered by code docta on this forum. Also as far as the laptops are concerned there is several factors that can be involved. Like another thing to think about is what kind of hard drive are you using. Some hard drives are way faster then others so the chip and the hard drive can be a factor as well. Also I think macs are overpriced as is as well. When you put the specs side by side using the same components you'll pay a lot more for a mac then a windows based pc. Some would try to argue that macs can't be hacked into like a windows pc, but that is also a myth. They can be hacked into just as easy as a windows based pc can. So at the end of the day your paying a lot more for the name when you buy a mac.

So I would suggest getting a good ssd drive since they are the fastest out and a good amount of ram and a decent chip and you should be fine.

• Like 1