UBot Underground

Profile Scraping in Facebook

Has anyone had any luck at scraping Facebook profiles from the friends section?

I can scrape the first page but I cannot get it to advance to the next page, scrape and then advance until it is done.

I end up having to page through it manually and executing my bot without initializing my list so I don't wipe it out.

Any ideas?

thanks!

Has anyone had any luck at scraping Facebook profiles from the friends section?

I can scrape the first page but I cannot get it to advance to the next page, scrape and then advance until it is done.

I end up having to page through it manually and executing my bot without initializing my list so I don't wipe it out.

Any ideas?

thanks!

The attachment should help. You have to be on the first list of friends page. It scrapes the url of each friend and adds them to a friends list. Basically it is checking if the current url has changed or not after it has clicked the advance button. Because facebook keeps the button and its attributes present (it just greys it out) if it clicks it and the url does not change we can assume we were on the last page.

You can then do a loop through each url in the friends list and scrape whatever data you require. For the sake of the demo this just runs through, builds the list and writes it out to a text file.

Hope this helps

Andy

scrapefriends.ubot

Andy,

I navigated to the Friends section but when I executed the ubot it hit an error. I have attached it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Buddy

No idea! What url are you starting from in facebook?

Andy

I see a next page triangle.

Sorry, should have been clearer!

Login to Facebook. Account > Edit Friends.

Left hand tab under "Lists" click "Friends"

This loads the friends list on a main page rather than a pop up window.

Run the bot sample.

Andy

Still no Workie!

I didn't know that screen was there. Anyway, I tried the ubot and it still gives the same error as before.

Does a button have to be selected before the bot is run?

Andy,

Is this working for you? I followed your instructions but no go. The same error that I reported earlier still pops up.

Buddy

Yes it works for me. I was going to try to find time to see if I could scrape from the pop up window on the view all link but been a bit busy. Facebook is a nightmare to scrape from!

Andy I really do appreciate your efforts! It still is not working. Makes me wonder if it is my setup.

I am running the newest ubot version. I attached the error I am getting. I am glad they fixed the wrapping of the error message.

Buddy

ubot-004.JPG

Andy I really do appreciate your efforts! It still is not working. Makes me wonder if it is my setup.

I am running the newest ubot version. I attached the error I am getting. I am glad they fixed the wrapping of the error message.

Buddy

I am not using the latest beta because the lack of insert node and a few other things were slowing me up too much so I rolled back to the current stable release - I don't know if this makes any difference.

Andy

Thanks Andy.

I dont know that I will roll back. I am thinking it might be my IE options that might be killing this. i will tweak some settings and retry.

Buddy

I figured out why it was not working for me.

The login portion was not working right. So I removed that code and it appeared to work to some degree.

While I was watching it, to me, it looked like it was skipping pages of profiles by one.

So I added some delays before and after.

When the "Click Chose" command executes it actually forces two advancements. So I only get half of the profiles. I am still tweaking it but to me I don't think "Click Chosen" should do that. If I could get it to backup right after the advancement then I could scrape all of the profiles but then it makes sense to correct the code to not have to do that.

I will continue playing with it. This is the closet I have gotten so thanks for the code Andy.

Buddy

Andy,

Sorry to trouble you with this again. The code you provided does work but when the actual scraping is done it is only getting half of the profiles. Upon further checking it looks like as soon as the "Next" page is selected that it is actually advancing two screens instead of one. Very odd.

Are you seeing this as well? When you have time that would be great to get your thoughts.

Thanks!

Buddy