UBot Underground

Ubot Studio 6 Refuses To Pass "validating License..."

Tried it on a separate Windows 7 x64 and 32-bit machine, and on a Windows 2012 R2 Datacenter w/ GUI, fresh installs w/ .Net 4.5 and 4.7.2 etc, still did not work. Still stuck at "Validating License". 

Fucking hell people.

Keep in mind this is a completely different server, running under VMware, on a different network, running different installs of the two OSes than the Windows 7 and Windows 10 my laptop were. Oh, and same goes for my VMware on my OS X box. Still didn't do shit.

Can we entertain me for a minute and, for the love of God, somebody contact me on the phone or Skype or something in realtime and I will attempt to load uBot and someone who has access to the servers can watch the requests and maybe see what's going on on the remote end, since that's what seems to be holding this up?

I have debugged/traced this with IDA Pro and see it sitting in routines that have to do with remote networking. At this point it's easier for me to just grab Zenno or something for real

Edited by brandonpoc
  • Like 1

Buddy,

Thanks. Just trying to figure it out.

I noticed the CEF browser log was complaining about not being able to find CEFSharp.Core.Dll but the DLL gets loaded (as confirmed by system call monitoring) and is present in the main install directory. I changed the config files to accept different versions of .Net hoping that would help, no dice. I saw it trying to load the MSVC++ .Net 2015 redistributable DLLs and installed that, and it loaded the DLL, but still same outcome in uBot Studio loading (exact same thing, sits at Verifying License). This was same case in 7, 10, server 2012, etc.

If that helps

EDIT: by "main install directory" above I mean, the directory the UBotCefBrowser.exe sits in (%APPDATA%\UbotStudio\6.0.3\Browser or whatever it is; it's in the same directory as the .exe and this is a path it searches and successfully loads, but nonetheless complains about not being able to load it in the cef browser log txt file]

Edited by brandonpoc

FIXED (INSTRUCTIONS WITHIN)

After opening a debugger on the software a bit for myself, and seeing what libraries loaded and where dynamic calls were failing (because the DLLs were missing/incorrect versioned/etc), which I imagine the programmers/developers should've done , and found I was completely wrong on it being on the remote side.

Instead, I found that the problem is that it needs the *32-bit* Microsoft Visual Studio (in particular "MSVCP140.dll", aka MSVC++ runtime library) redistributable libraries (DLLs etc) as apparently uBot is a 32-bit program. I discovered this by just watching what (both uBot Studio.exe and uBot CEF Browser.exe) were trying to load, what functions it was dynamically resolving at runtime, which libraries it couldn't load, etc.

This explains why the fresh installs of Windows wouldn't work with uBot - most people have been using their machines for a while and have installed all manner of software, including most likely a 32-bit binary that distributed the 32-bit MS Viz Studio 2015 DLLs, so it just worked for them. Fresh installs, of course, did not ESPECIALLY on 64-bit installs. uBot developers, for whatever reason, did not distribute this redistributable runtime DLL with their copy. Who knows why.

I confirmed it working as I just got uBot 6.0.3 (and 5.9.57) working on both Windows Server 2012, Windows 7, and Windows 2012 Server R2 Datacenter w/ GUI with this. All three, after testing MSVC++ 2015 redistributable 64-bit on all of them; fail. 32-bit; fine.

TL;DR: Just install the 32-bit MSVC++ 2015 redistributable libraries from Microsoft. The 64-bit versions will not suffice for uBot Studio.

To get your uBot working do this:

Go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52685 and click the red Download button. It will ask you to check the versions you want - 64-bit and 32-bit - go ahead and select both. You may already have the 64-bit, who knows - it won't install over it if the one you have is already current.

Go ahead and run the 32-bit (x86 exe file) and install it. uBot will now work. Install the 64-bit for good measure so you'll have this too if you already don't.

NOTE: If the installers fail, reboot your computer and re-run them. They will be partially installed and will provide an "Uninstall" and "Repair" option. Click Repair. It will install the files it wasn't able to install previously. I found this happened a few times - I just ran the installers for both, waited for them to become unresponsive for a few minutes, hit CANCEL, rebooted, and then clicked REPAIR. All good. (32-bit is the one you want, again; but you will also benefit from the 64-bit for other programs that may need it that maybe didn't come packaged with it) 

And that's it. You can re-install uBot if you wish, but there's no reason to. It'll start working because the binaries have the correct libraries they need.

Regards,

Brandon

Edited by brandonpoc
  • Like 2

After opening a debugger on the software a bit for myself, and seeing what libraries loaded and where dynamic calls were failing (because the DLLs were missing/incorrect versioned/etc), which I imagine the programmers/developers should've done , and found I was completely wrong on it being on the remote side.

Thanks for taking the time to share your findings. I posted a link to this to the Skype group as many people on there were having the same problems.

Wow, you're amazing! I've been working on this for days and was no closer to a solution.

The interesting thing is, UBot Studio is distributed with msvcp. It's possible that we're tied to an older version and the new browser is looking for a new version. I'll have to dig in a little deeper so that I can figure out exactly what's missing in the distribution. 

In the meantime, I'm glad we have a temporary workaround while I fiddle with distribution files. I know this issue has been stressing some people out. Especially me! 

Instead, I found that the problem is that it needs the *32-bit* Microsoft Visual Studio (in particular "MSVCP140.dll", aka MSVC++ runtime library) redistributable libraries (DLLs etc) as apparently uBot is a 32-bit program. I discovered this by just watching what (both uBot Studio.exe and uBot CEF Browser.exe) were trying to load, what functions it was dynamically resolving at runtime, which libraries it couldn't load, etc.

This explains why the fresh installs of Windows wouldn't work with uBot - most people have been using their machines for a while and have installed all manner of software, including most likely a 32-bit binary that distributed the 32-bit MS Viz Studio 2015 DLLs, so it just worked for them. Fresh installs, of course, did not ESPECIALLY on 64-bit installs. uBot developers, for whatever reason, did not distribute this redistributable runtime DLL with their copy. Who knows why.

I confirmed it working as I just got uBot 6.0.3 (and 5.9.57) working on both Windows Server 2012, Windows 7, and Windows 2012 Server R2 Datacenter w/ GUI with this. All three, after testing MSVC++ 2015 redistributable 64-bit on all of them; fail. 32-bit; fine.

TL;DR: Just install the 32-bit MSVC++ 2015 redistributable libraries from Microsoft. The 64-bit versions will not suffice for uBot Studio.

To get your uBot working do this:

Go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52685 and click the red Download button. It will ask you to check the versions you want - 64-bit and 32-bit - go ahead and select both. You may already have the 64-bit, who knows - it won't install over it if the one you have is already current.

Go ahead and run the 32-bit (x86 exe file) and install it. uBot will now work. Install the 64-bit for good measure so you'll have this too if you already don't.

NOTE: If the installers fail, reboot your computer and re-run them. They will be partially installed and will provide an "Uninstall" and "Repair" option. Click Repair. It will install the files it wasn't able to install previously. I found this happened a few times - I just ran the installers for both, waited for them to become unresponsive for a few minutes, hit CANCEL, rebooted, and then clicked REPAIR. All good. (32-bit is the one you want, again; but you will also benefit from the 64-bit for other programs that may need it that maybe didn't come packaged with it) 

And that's it. You can re-install uBot if you wish, but there's no reason to. It'll start working because the binaries have the correct libraries they need.

Regards,

Brandon

Thanks, I hope it solves the problems for time being so people can start crankin' at v6..

Also have a comment on something I found weird, might want to take a look into it- the UBotCefBrowser executable log was reporting that it couldn't find CEFSharp.core.dll or something like that even though it could load it and it did load it. The DLL is located in the %APPDATA%\uBot Studio\Browser\<ubot version>\ directory, exactly where it would expect to find it. Not sure if's related or maybe causing an issue for others. But I verified it did load yet it still complained in the log.

Regards