UBot Underground

Inno Setup - Actualinstaller

Just a quick note to those who are interested.

Since I began using ubot I have used inno-setup for my installer... it's free and easy so I have stayed with it.

Recently I released a new software program and out of the blue several people sent me messages saying it didn't work and showing me screenshots.

The screenshots show an alert that tells the user that a plugin (it names the plugin) in the software is not registered and that they need to have the owner contact ubot support to resolve the issue.

Complete and total embarrasement would be an understatement.

So I came here to the forum and sent a PM to the plugin seller telling him what was happening and asking how to fix it.

He told me the issue was simply that the user didn't have v.4.5 of .Net Framework.

He was right - I started telling users to update to that version and all was well.

But it burned my soul that they got that message in the first place (this had never happened to me with any other plugin).

So, I set out to find a new installer/wrapper that would detect the users .Net Framework version before it attempted to install the software.

Most I found were grossly over priced - Not even close to being worth the money they were asking for.

Then- I came across a crappy little site that offered an installer that did what I needed (and more). I looked in their forum and seen that the product was active, the problems were minimal and the support appeared to be pretty good.

So I went to buy it - They had a special going on ($50) which really surprised me in a very good way.

So, I got it, wrapped a couple of programs with it - tested the heck out of it on my primary and test machine... It all seems perfect.

I went ahead and deployed the new installer. Now i'll just have to wait and see if anyone else gets the "contact ubot" error message.

Bottom line, it seems to work very well, it was cheap, has more options than inno, and just as easy as inno.

It's called Actual Installer. I'm not affiliated with them other than being a new customer. I dont know them, never spoke with them.

I just wanted to share this in case someone else finds themselves in a similar embarrassing situation and needs an affordable solution fast.

If anyone else has any experience with it - pop in and let me know if I should be aware of anything that isn't appearant.

• Like 1
Software,

Thanks for the heads-up on Actual Installer. That may come in handy.

I was just wondering from what you said, does the installer give you the option to install and/or update prerequisites like .NET framework prior to installing your software?

Yup that's what I have been using for the last year, I shared it in the skype group a while back, it's really easy to use, 100% professional and totally customizable. Here are some of the options that people can use with it. I used Inno Setup, and found it to conversome to use. Glad to see more ubot devs useing it. I believe they have a paid and free version also.

http://www.actualinstaller.com/help/description/2.html
  • 10 months later...